Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

studdering,shaking,hesitating???????

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Default studdering,shaking,hesitating???????

Ok I just bought a 95 Jetta GLS with about 160k. The car runs good, and its in great shape. The only problems I have is there is no heat which I think I narrowed down to being the blower motor (hope its not a pain to replace). The other problem is when I leave from a stop or at about 40 mph the car starts to studder, shake, hesitate.Please help Thanks alot.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:21 AM
Default RE: studdering,shaking,hesitating???????

the heater blower i have heard that the blower motor is underneath the dash on the passenger side, and sorry but i couldnt tell you about the acceleration issues

Old 01-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

The studerring could be a number of things. I'd change the spark plugs, fuel filter and air filter if it needs changed. Also check for vacuum leaks which sound like a hissing.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:16 PM

I agree. I was having some issues with hesitation and what seemed to be less than full power when accelerating. I changed the plugs with some high quality, original equipment plugs and it runs great now.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 PM

I just ran a diagnostic on my car (been having a similar problem), and the fault codes that popped up were:

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected

I had my engine coil replaced about 2 years ago, so I don't think it should be that.. sparkplugs seem to be the culprit.

Gonna change them out next weekend and see if it fixes the problem.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 PM

i agree, i replaced the old spark plugs with bosch platinum plugs, and i got hesitation and stuttering, i put NGK iridium tipped plugs in and no problem. Manufacture calls for NGK plugs anyway so. hope that helps. also about the heat problem, whats your engine temperature at when the car has been running for a while?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 PM

I'm new to cars (don't even own a VW), but anyway
You might even want to check and make sure your alignment is correct, make sure nothing's toe-in or toe-out
Usually that seems to happen when going fast, like highway fast, but might be worth looking into

Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 PM

alignment being off would cause your car to pull one way or the other instead of straight
this is something you would notice immediately

toe-in/out is basically when one or both tires point in or out just a little
so they are not perfectly straight and parallel

I think anyway. Like I said, new to cars

Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM

As far as your shuddering problem, I had an 88 chevy Nova with the same problem, and I had to replace a wheel bearing. By the time I got to it, I had damaged the cv joints as well, so the axle was replaced as well. The heat problem could be rooted in a thermostat, (Cheapest fix), heater core (under the dash, pain in the ***) or blower motor. for your sake, I hope it is not the heater core. Pulling dashes sucks.

Quick Reply: studdering,shaking,hesitating???????