Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smells like crayons...HELP!!

Old 12-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Default RE: Smells like crayons...HELP!!

in response to issa- I think you can get to the A/C filter through the back of the glove box. not sure about the VWs though. i know that on the 98 GMC's its in the glove box. hope it helps.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: 98Jetta

Well i dont know how to solve it but i know what your problem is.... you see any vw newer than 98 VW packed the bodys with wax for shipping purposes and the dealerships dont bother to take it out thats why your getting the crayon smell in some high heat cases you mite even get some melted wax dripping out of of your window and door frames... watch for this try to clean while its still wet otherwise it will be there eternally and will ruin your paint.
Yea I have seen that wax dripping out of my door frames before. Where is all this wax located? Geez the crazy things that go on, just nuts!

How did you find this out?

Old 12-21-2006, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: heavenly_blade101

in response to issa- I think you can get to the A/C filter through the back of the glove box. not sure about the VWs though. i know that on the 98 GMC's its in the glove box. hope it helps.
Thanks for the advice, Ill check out the glove box and see what I find.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:05 AM

Most likely your problem is the Fresh air intake filter. it should be located under the Plastic panel that covers your windshield wipers unser the hood on teh passener side. Noone ever replaces these and wonders why their car doesnt smell new. Better call teh dealer b4 you start takeing stuff apart because they can range from 30-140$...And the plastic clips break easy and they are a speial order item at most dealers........ Have fun.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: kinky19777

Most likely your problem is the Fresh air intake filter. it should be located under the Plastic panel that covers your windshield wipers unser the hood on teh passener side. Noone ever replaces these and wonders why their car doesnt smell new. Better call teh dealer b4 you start takeing stuff apart because they can range from 30-140$...And the plastic clips break easy and they are a speial order item at most dealers........ Have fun.
Yea i was thinking that too but didnt know where it was located. I'll be sure to contact the dealer about it. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:24 PM

Black Crayon numero Trou, (3). My girlfriend has been commenting on the crayon smell in my 00 Jetta for a while now. There has got to be some explaination for this. She just assumed the original owner was a fan of drawrings, and had one stuck inbehind the dash... Whoo would have knew other ppl had same problem?!?

Old 11-06-2007, 03:36 PM

I tried asking about it but no one ever gives me a straight answer. The dealership is always confused and says "hmmm thats weird"

Well, duh its weird...I'm 24yrs old and my damn car smells like a crayon box!! I might as well be getting paid to market for crayola!

I changed the filter but it didnt help at all. Although, I am breathing better now hehe.

I get the same stories..."you really need to stop drawing with crayons in your car" ormy favorite while I'm driving "hey why dont you draw it out for me" haha.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 PM

i've heard of this too, there is a cabin air filter and i heard that replacing that fixes the smell.... yeah i believe its behind the glove box but not sure, check your owners manual

Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 PM

I dont know about that one. I changed my cabin filter and it still stinks crayons.

I've givin up hope...

Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 AM

I have an '01 Jetta with the same problem. The only thing that works for me is using Auto Expressions for Vents (Outdoor Breeze). The smell is so strong it takes out the Crayon smell for awhile. Once it starts getting dull again, just rebuy them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smells like crayons...HELP!!