Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing battery in '02 Jetta TDI key fob

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Default Replacing battery in '02 Jetta TDI key fob

I did a search and found one post from someone who had replaced the battery in his/her key fob but didn't say how they did it or got the fob open.

I have an '02 Jetta TDI and need to replace the battery in one of the fobs. According to the manual, it has to be done by the dealer, which I want to avoid. First, how do you open the fob? And second, the same post mentioned they had to reprogram the fobby inserting the key into the driver's door lock, twist to the left (actually, they couldn't remember which direction they turned the key..but thought it was to the left), hold and press the fob buttons to reprogram the fob. They didn't mention where they got that info, but is that the correct way to reprogram?

Any help is appreciated.
DC

Old 07-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Default RE: Replacing battery in '02 Jetta TDI key fob

I figured out how to open the fob and have replaced the battery. Now I need the procedure to reprogram the fob, which has 4 buttons... Lock, Open, Trunk Release, and Panic (alarm). I just don't want to mess anything up with the car's memory, so want to do this correctly. I found the followingprocedure online for VW but doesn't specify a model. Would this apply to any VW factory-installed remote entry system?

http://www.programkeys.com/Program_K...eat_Skoda.html

DC

Old 07-09-2007, 10:22 AM

When it says "in the ON position" it only means accessory position...otherwise your good to go.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:12 PM

Appreciate it Boomer. I went through the procedure but still didn't work. So I did something I should have done in the first place....checked the battery, which I discovered I'd installed upside down(yea, I know....duh).

After correcting my blunder, I did the procedure and the fob works but now when I lock the car and then unlock using the fob,the carautomatically locks itself again in 30 sec. It's never done this before and it's doing it now with both fobs. I tried the erase procedure in an attempt to start over but doesn't work. This isn't a good thing.

I called the dealer and according to the guy I spoke with, you don't need to reprogram the fob when replacing the battery since the code is held in memory. Again, something I should have done in the first place...call the dealer. But I just assumed they'd tell me I'd have to bring it in for reprogramming, so didn't bother. To test what I was told, I removed the battery from the second fob, left it out for a while, replaced the battery and it works fine. Had I installed the battery correctly to begin with, I wouldn't be going through this. Oh well.

Guess I'll have to get the dealer to reprogram the darn things after all to remove the 30-sec auto lock. I called them back about it and was told they wouldn't charge me. Well see.....

Just not my day.
DC

Old 07-09-2007, 04:26 PM

before you risk getting charged at the dealer(my bet is they will even tho they said they wouldnt) id look on vwvortex.com and ask around. Those guys are really helpful, and its where i always go when im in a bind like this

Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 AM

As far as I know this only happens if you unlock the door after locking it and don't physically open the door. The immobilizer thinks that you accidently unlocked it when the fob was put in your pocket,etc.(safety measure).
Hope all works out..

Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM

I took joenewton07's suggestion and posted the scenario on the VW Vortex Jetta forum, recieving two replies supporting Boomer's statement,and that this is a normal safety feature. If you unlock the door after locking it and don't physically opena door within 30 sec, the car will auto-lock itself. For some reason I thought my car didn't do this, but I stand corrected.

So problem solved, which thankfully turned out to NOT be a problem to begin with.

Thanks for everyone's input.

DC

Old 07-10-2007, 04:06 PM

good on ya! glad to hear its sorted out