Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for a First Time Jetta Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 AM
Default Question for a First Time Jetta Owner

Hello everyone! Glad to be a part of the forum!

I just got a 2005 VW Jetta very recently; it's the loaded one with sunroof, leather interior, etc and I have a question about it. It has traction control and I've never driven a vehicle with that before. I just leave it on all the time. But I have a question; with the onset of winter and snow and icy roads....do I just keep the car in "drive" all the time, even if conditions are bad, like the roads are slick....or do I need to switch gears or use the speed shift or anything like that????

Any help would be appreciated because I'm new to VW's and new to traction control. I'm used to driving a car where you need to switch to second or third gear when winter roads are bad...so I'm not sure what to do here!! Thanks!!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 AM

You should just leave it in drive and let the traction control do the work =) The "Traction Control" will cut power to the wheel that is slipping automatically to get your car back on track. If it's the "ESP" Button, it will apply the brake to the opposite side that's slipping to re-stabalize the car.

Also, neat trick since you're new to VW...Put your key in your driver door and hold it to the left for a few seconds, check out what happens =)...welcome to the world of VW!