Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem Starting!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Default Problem Starting!!!

I have 1994 Jetta GL. Lately I have been having problems starting the car. Before I usually had a problem where I was hearing a clicking sound coming from the direction where my light switch is at every time I tried to start the car. The car then wouldn't even crank. Not until I disconected the battery would it start normally again. Well now the car doesnt want to start at all. It cranks continuelly without fireing up. Any ideas? I did have problems with the electricity before, about 2 years ago where a smart mechanic burned my computer and I had to replace it. Any help would be great.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Default RE: Problem Starting!!!

*bump*
This is the reason I came here today, minus the clicking. My baby's been running rough for a while, but always started very quickly. Has been bogging down recently in 1st gear, but not the others. Today I went to start her up, and it just rolled over and over without starting. I popped the clutch going down a hill and it started up. Made it threw 1 stop sign, and died on the second, without a hill to roll down

My thought is fuel filter/pump or spark plugs. I'll be walking down to it soon to attempt to fix.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 PM

could be the throtle body. my dads golf wont idle and we changed the throtle body and it ran much better. also try your plugs cuz that could be a big thing. (try the plugs first for money reasons)

Old 12-17-2006, 11:47 AM

I have been having similar problems with my 1997 Jetta Vr6. If I drive for more than a few minutes and then have the car off for more than about 10 minutes, then it won't crank over for about 2-3 hours. My check engine light is on andat autozone it read: ignition control module and shift solenoid. I took the car to a dealer to get a more specific diagnostic and I got the same reading. The mechanic at the dealer told me that it might just be the computer, but it would cost a lot of money just to find out what was wrong with it. I tried replacing the fuel filter and that didn't work, my next step is to get a tune up. I have been looking for a computer on ebaymotors, but have had no luck so far. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:40 PM

try replacing the battery terminals, I have had the same problem with my mothers jeep and Upon replacing the terminals and heat shrinking the cables shut with electric tape and a heat gun......never had that problem again.