Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pimp my Jetta?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 03:24 AM
Default Pimp my Jetta?!

So I've noticed theres some knowledgable people here so I could use some advice.

MY CAR: 1987 Jetta Carat, automatic, 1.8L something engine (i know how specific). Oh and its rebuilt (salvaged and rebuilt in 1996), 168 000km (yes i triple check the odometer readings in the history). Only a few small spots of surface rust and the top coat is chipping on the hood. Brand new battery, brakes and headlights and new higher grade wheels on front. Failed emissions 3 years ago two years in a row but not since (where i live, emissions arent a recquirement). Power locks/windows.
CURRENT PROBLEMS: E-brake is nothing but a stick lying between the front seats. i think its partially detached. Speedometer got stuck (just fixed), something wrong with cold fuel injector ( i have to rev it for about a minute in the morning, otherwise it stalls but then works fine the rest of the day), tape deck cuts out after 2 minutes (unless i push in the cigarette lighter). Seat warmers only work on passenger side and rear left window wont go down
COST ME: 1000.00

The actually frame is in very good condition considering the age and the car is very reliable. it runs very quietly and smoothly, doesnt burn a lot of oil, great on gas. my question is how much should i put into this car? i was told that it could be a worthy vintage car if its kept up and the rust doesnt progress cause the Carat was a special edition luxury trim. I actually only expected to buy a car so i can drive it to ****, but since it's turned out to be an alright find, the VW mechanic said it would be worthy putting some money into it and get it fixed up real nice. is he just saying this for the money? How much more life can one really get out of a 20 year old car thats been REBUILT?! How much should be my limit? Thanks for any opinions