Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII Port reading intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Default OBDII Port reading intermittently

Hi Everyone, I am new to the post and hm having alot of trouble with my OBDII port
First of all it is a Mark IV Jetta VR6 (2001) I do not have an aftermarket stereo but I do have a KARR alarm. I have a cheap scanner I bought from Kragen which I can use on my Audi fine and also on other cars. I plug it into the OBDII port on the jetta and it'll read one minute and then not the next, I have a friend who has a VAG and her came over and could not even recognize the port. If I drive the car maybe for 20 miles with the scanner plugged in (it automatically tries to connect by itself) then finally I will hear 2 beeps instead of 6 and then I look at the scanner and it gives me my errors but I can not delete them, yesterday I took the whole dash apart and also the bit against the firewall under the wipers where the ECU's are, I really think that it's my alarm but I have no idea what I am looking for. Oh and I forgot to add I thought I would take it past my Smog guy and he very reluctantly plugged his emission tester in and it crashed his machine (I thought it blew it, but luckily it was fine.. Phew) I have 2 weeks left before it has to be smogged so I'm really running out of time. Also a little history on the vehicle, I recently bought it with a slipping tranny, I tried to drive it home and on the way noticed some smoke so pulled over, looked under the hood and thought I really think I should tow it, I then tried to drive another maybe 300ft to get off the freeway and the smoke got alot worse so I pulled over and looked in the hood again, FIRE FIRE the transmission oil had got so hot that it actually caught alight, I then ran to my fathers a car where I had a little water and threw it on, very lucky the fire went straight out, I then towed home, I had to replace the wiring harness section that sits on top of the transmission and now the car is fine. When I bought the car I did plug my tool in and it did take a couple of attempts to get my scanner to read so I really think the OBDII Problem was there before the fire. PLEASE any help would be really appreciated