Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob with a problem

Old 09-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Default noob with a problem

hey guys i have just bought a 1996 jetta. OK so when i bought it the battery was dead and the steering wheel was locked and wouldn't unlock, leading to the ignition being locked. So i was told to stick a battery in it and then it would all unlock and so on, well i did that and the wheel and ignition is still locked up.

I believe it has something to do with the alarm system, can anybody shoot me some help here on it?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:34 PM

factory alarm or aftermarket? dont matter if you want it disabled, take to an alarm company or find the brain of the alarm and there should be a splice into the starter kill. Just bypass the starter kill and reattach the factory ignition wire back together

Old 09-11-2009, 02:11 AM

I don't know.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 PM

boot gos girl she just advertising dvds,

Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Default Help meeeee

Hay my car starts but it shuts off immediately afterward and has a key and a car on the dash soooo frustrating seems like a security issue can anyone give helpful hints volkswagon said bring it in we will fix it but what they don't get is it won't go at all shuts off immediately after it starts

Old 12-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Default Help meeee somebody

My car won't start the immobilized thing on the dash is on can't bring it to the dealer cause it won't stay going. Going to goo crazy tried everything gotta be something I'm missing any suggestions on a reset

Old 12-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 183
Size:  951 Bytes

Originally Posted by Wcrazydaisy
Hay my car starts but it shuts off immediately afterward and has a key and a car on the dash soooo frustrating seems like a security issue can anyone give helpful hints volkswagon said bring it in we will fix it but what they don't get is it won't go at all shuts off immediately after it starts
You don't say which model or year of car you have, presumably a Jetta if you've posted in the Jetta section?

Yes you have an immobilizer problem which is common. What have you been doing to start the immobilizer off, have you changed the car battery?

There is a simple trick that works about 15% of the time. Disconnect both battery cables and join them together for a few seconds to discharge any capacitors in the system.. Reconnect the battery and turn the ignition on for anywhere between 15 and 60 minutes then try and start it.

Other than that ship it off to a dealer.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by danb
hey guys i have just bought a 1996 jetta. OK so when i bought it the battery was dead and the steering wheel was locked and wouldn't unlock, leading to the ignition being locked. So i was told to stick a battery in it and then it would all unlock and so on, well i did that and the wheel and ignition is still locked up.

I believe it has something to do with the alarm system, can anybody shoot me some help here on it?
You should be able to unlock the steering shaft with the key.
The same way you unlock any other steering.
Otherwise , you have a problem with in the cloumn or related parts or the key.
Are sure you got the right key and you are doing things correctly to unlock the steering.

The whole column can be removed from the car,and also the steering shaft for inspection .
Your dealer maybe able to verify if you got the correct key.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wcrazydaisy
You don't say , so assuming it is jetta with 2.0l gas,
You may just have a major intake leak.
Check the hose from intake to the brake boaster first.
Make sure is not disconnected or leaking some place.