Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start diagnosis help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 AM
Default No start diagnosis help.

Hey folks. My sister recently bought an 01 jetta with the K model engine i believe. The jetta died randomly while it was being driven.

I have replaced the fuel pump. I pulled the fuel lines at the engine and gas squirted out of the hose on one and squirted out of the nipple on the other.

I checked the spark plugs and 2 were weak 1 was intermittent and the other didnt spark at all. So i replaced the plugs and wires. Coil pack seemed fine.

I pulled the starter because it sounded weird. Im not at all familiar with vws but i didnt hear a typical engine chug chug chug. All i heard was what sounds like the starter free spinning. So pulled the starter had the starter tested because i thought maybe the bendix drive wasnt extending and catching the flywheel.

Starter is fine. Flywheel shows a little bit of wear but nothing substantial. So next im thinking the engine is seized back to my previous thought. I mixed a cocktail of lubes, oils, and other crap i had and poured it down into the spark plug wells. Turned the engine over from the pulley im forgetting the name of...crankshaft pulley? Meh either way. It moved damn easily. Not seized at all.

Had my buddy turn the key with the plugs out and all that crap i poured into the spark plug cylinders sprayed out so further confirming that it isnt seized.

So! Ive exhausted about 700 dollars in ridiculously overpriced parts on this extremely frustrating and challenging to work on car. I hate it and i love it at the same time...

At any rate what should i be looking at/checking next? I cant get a code reader on it because they are expensive and parts stores wont let you leave the parking lot with them.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Brandon. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 42
Size:  951 Bytes

I would get your motor scanned for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them. There are cheaper EOBD II scanners on the market from £9, obviously don't go for the cheapest as you only get what you pay for, around £40.

I would also replace the 109 relay as these do go faulty. If you remove the trim under steering wheel and look at relay panel, look for a big 109 on top of a relay. The engine will crank all day but never start as its the main power feed to the ecu. You should always carry a spare 109 relay in the car as it can go anytime while your driving.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 12-31-2013, 03:42 PM

I believe i may have happned onto the problem. The crankshaft pulley is spinning. I had someone turn the key while i looked and noticed the timing belt was vibrating but not moving. So it may be that the timing belt is stripped out. I couldnt see low enough to tell if teeth were missing. The top pulley the big one whatever it is called is not moving at all.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Yes its a common fault and expensive if you don't change the timing belt at the correct interval, whats the mileage?

Old 01-02-2014, 05:09 AM

Its at 158k. Could go to the junkyard and pull a head and some valves but ive never done a engine swap. The irony of this is my mom called me up wanting me to do the timing belt and water pump because the water pump was making noise. Was probaably seizing up is what she heard and she was on her way driving it to me when it died on her. Ive gotta stop saying i know how to fix **** =P

Any info on whats next? Ive heard its a very high chance the valves are bent. Can i get new valve and just drop em in and good to go or what? What all is involved with this? Timing belts are such a crappy idea. Should stick with timing chains and engines that dont eat themselves to pieces when something goes =P

Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

At 158k it should be on its 2nd timing belt and tensioner change along with a water pump.

You could go to a breakers for another head and rebuild it yourself. 98% of VW's the valves it the pistons when the belt breaks therefore the hydraulic lifters could be damaged.

There is nothing wrong with timing belts as I've said if you change the belt and tensioner at the correct interval. Also VW timing chains do cause problems.

Does your mum have a VW?

What is it with you guys? https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

I ask for simple info and you don't show it or tell me in a post, I'm not asking for your bank details.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:39 AM

I posted the model and year in my very first post its a 2001 vw jetta with either the K or S 2.0 liter 4 cylinder model engine. It is my sisters VW but my mom is the one who noticed the noise and wanted me to change the timing belt and water pump.

And i am a new member here. This is my first thread and first posts. Sorry if i did you a disservice by not having the info in my sig.

Originally Posted by Keithuk
At 158k it should be on its 2nd timing belt and tensioner change along with a water pump.

You could go to a breakers for another head and rebuild it yourself. 98% of VW's the valves it the pistons when the belt breaks therefore the hydraulic lifters could be damaged.

There is nothing wrong with timing belts as I've said if you change the belt and tensioner at the correct interval. Also VW timing chains do cause problems.

Does your mum have a VW?

What is it with you guys? https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

I ask for simple info and you don't show it or tell me in a post, I'm not asking for your bank details.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Yes but there is a piece of vital info missing is it petrol or diesel as 2.0 litres can be either.

A signature shows in every post you make so there is no point in repeating it.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:21 PM

Ah! I did not know that. It is gasoline.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:43 AM

Ok, so the timing belt went. A tthe very least im going to have to pull the cylinder head and see if the valves were bent which they probably were. Ive been getting quotes from mechanics. Got one that will do it for about 550 labor and 499-700 for a cylinder head and the timing belt water pump tensioner all that fun stuff.

Cant the cylinder head be reused? Or resurfaced? Is the cylinder head likely to be damaged too? Im just having some trouble understanding this bit.

Quick Reply: No start diagnosis help.