Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jetta (to me), new issue--Dashboard Blue lights Out

Old 11-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Default New Jetta (to me), new issue--Dashboard Blue lights Out

Greetings,

Just picked up a Silver 2000 Jetta GLS. Have had it for about 3 weeks. LOVE the car...but driving home last night, my blue dash lights went out. Unprovoked, I was simply driving down the road as normal. Stayed out for the rest of the night.

Today, started the car...no dash back lights again. Then, after driving for 10 minutes...they came on! Went into store, came back out...now they're off.

Headlights still work, all other interior lights (orange lights for vents and such), radio, everything else electrical seems to be fine.

All the guages still work, and the indicator lights within the dash (oil, battery, central lock, etc) all light up in their respective colors as they should.

Does the blue dash backlight have it's own fuse? Is there a bulb I can get to? Could there be a lose connection or wire somewhere that might cause this which I could check?

Fortunately, the speedometer still works...but I can't see it in the dark now...and I don't want to get a ticket! Plus, I always loved those cool blue lights...one of the many cool selling points of these VW's IMHO!

Please help, any suggestions would be appreciated...

Old 06-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Default RE: New Jetta (to me), new issue--Dashboard Blue lights Out

did you get a fix yet? I have the same issue on my 02 jetta

Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 AM

i would have to say that it would be a bad ground or something with the wiring, especially if it came back on briefly that time

best of luck

Old 06-11-2007, 06:14 PM

After taking it to my local VW dealer, where they wanted $130 just to "diagnose" the problem...plus whatever the faulty components would cost, I decided to drive with it dark. This was last November.

Fortune must be on my side, as the lights came back on just three weeks ago! They now work like they should...so it's definitely a bad ground or wiring, asmutd8710.

I'm certain they will go out again, so if anyone has any tips on how/where to check the grounds and/or wiring...I would love to know. I've already looked inside the fuse compartment, and jiggled things around in there in an attempt to fix last fall. Didn't work. Where else might I (as well as others with the problem) go to access the instrument cluster grounds?

Old 06-20-2007, 04:57 PM

It's long...but I was able to find something similar to your issue,hopefully this helps & cures the problem....if not I'll keep my eyes open for anything new.

**Condition**
97 07 03 May 3, 2007, 2002270, Supersedes Technical Bulletin Group 97 number 01-01 dated April 30, 2001 due to inclusion into ElsaWeb.
Wiring Harness, Coolant Contamination at Instrument Cluster
Contamination can result in various malfunctions of the instrument cluster.[/align]
Technical Background
Coolant leaking from coolant reservoir bottle wiring connector contaminates the wiring harness.[/align]
Production solution
Improved coolant reservoir bottle.[/align]
Service
If an instrument cluster exhibits a malfunction:

•
Record Vehicle Mileage (odometer adaptation reading) (see Repair Manual).

•
Print out any and all instrument cluster coding and adaptation values using the VAS 5051/5052 for use after repairs are complete.

•
Remove instrument cluster (see Repair Manual).

•
Remove blue flat contact housing cover and inspect wire terminals for moisture or corrosion.[/align]

If moisture or corrosion is found (arrow):

•
Repair wiring using repair kit 1JM998001.[/align]This kit contains overlay harnesses, splice connectors, tape and installation tube necessary to repair the affected harnesses.
The instrument cluster, coolant bottle and fuel pump/fuel sender must also be replaced.
IMPORTANT!
ALWAYS perform complete repair as outlined in this Technical Bulletin. DO NOT skip steps or fail to replace parts as instructed.

Parts required:
See ⇒“ Required Parts and Tools” .

Wiring repair, general procedures

Review instruction manual included in VAS 1978 wiring repair kit.

ONLY use parts included in this kit. if supplemental wiring terminals or supplies are required, use only materials from the VAS 1978 kit.[/align]
Wiring, making splice connections

All wiring splice connections MUST be made using the VAS 1978/1 crimping tool with either the VAS 1978/24 crimp tool die for connections using (light yellow) crimp connector Part No: 111971941 A, or the VAS 1978/2 crimp tool die for connections that utilize other crimp connectors.

All wiring splice connections MUST be heat shrunk and sealed using the hot air blower from the VAS 1978 kit and the VAS 1978/15 adapter.

When required, strip wiring ends using the VAS 1978/3 wire stripper (this minimizes possibility of broken wire strands).[/align]
Unused wiring, taping back to harness
During this repair, ALL unused wires in the vehicle must be terminated using a cut, stretch, fold, and tape technique as follows:
This prevents unused wires from coming in contact with ground or any other circuit.

•
Cut wires with suitable wire cutters.

•
Stretch (pull) wire insulation with pliers to extend slightly beyond end of wire strands.

•
Fold wire over upon itself.

•
Tape wire using vinyl tape.[/align]
Wiring terminals and seals, removing and installing in connectors

Removal of terminals from 10 or 14 pin engine harness connector or fuel pump connector (if needed) must be performed using the VAS 1978/4a.

Insertion of the single wire seals on 10 or 14 pin engine harness connector or fuel pump connector (if needed) must be performed using the appropriate seal tool from VAS 1978 kit.[/align]
Vehicle, Preparation
The following should