Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Default Need some insight

Hello every one.

I’d like some insight on what I may be getting my self into by buying another Jetta. I’m currently looking at the Mark 4 model Jetta. This would be the second VW that I’ve owned. Well, the first one was really my girl’s but I felt it was mine since I was the one who had to do all the work on the thing… LOL.

What issues / problems do these models have, that I should be looking out for? I’m not really sure what I should be buying either. I’m undecided if I want the 1.8T or the 2.0L engine. In either case, the vehicle will have a manual. I refuse to drive an auto if I can help it…

This Jetta will be a stepping stone for us to get into a new Mark 5 TDI when they become available. I really just need a car to run around town in. I have a big Dodge RAM w/ a Cummins under the hood, but I don’t see the point driving it all over creation if I don’t have to. Wife drives the new Jeep CRD we have, and it being an auto, I try to avoid it.

Several friends have (and had) VWs and all say good things about them expect one, but I think she was just pissed that I whooped her in my truck. I think she learned that 800ft-lbs of raw diesel power could move a truck pretty quick. In either event I’d like to know what I’m in for by purchasing a used VW. This will most likely by a private sale, so I must know what to look for in these models. If I’m going to buy an import, it mite as well be a German car.

Thanks for your time,
Ross

Old 04-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need some insight

I have had no major problems with my 2.0L. The 1.8 gets better gas milage and I used to have a turbo Eclipse so I know how much fun turbos are.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

1.8T is good for turbo upgrades and squeezing bunch of horsepower out of a tiny motor. 2.0 gets good gas mileage and is used mainly for driving around the city! I have the VR6, and it kicks A$$!! There's so many different options I can do, and is easy to hook up a turbo and reach 400WHP!! I've already done a bunch of stuff to it, and not nearly close to being done. If you race, or run auto cross like I do, then the VR6 is for you. If you want just something to cruise in, get the 2.0

Old 04-15-2008, 02:14 PM

Thanks for your insight guys. Ended up grabbing a 2004 TDI. Had to go all the way to Canada to get it though. I was surprised it didn’t come with a factory block heater. I’ve had diesel trucks all my life and all of them even ones I bought in Arizona had block heaters. I live in the mountains and it gets rather cold, will there be issues with starting in cold weather? We normally see down into the low teens and below zero during the winter months.

Besides the speedometer is there any differences between the US and Canadian models I should be aware about? I don’t think I will swith the speedometer either, nice way to have some fun with friends when they look over and see I’m doing 100KPH when I’m simply going 60MPH. LOL.

So let the mods begin. What kind of emission crap will I have to deal with on this engine? On my Dodge (2006 w/ a Cummins) there is no emissions to deal with other than the CAT that I cut off the 2nd day I had it. I don’t think these TDIs have DPFs do they? We have no emissions at all here and I’d like to take the CAT and EGR off if possible.

Thanks,
Ross