Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Jetta Maintenance costs are ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Default My Jetta Maintenance costs are ridiculous

Hi,

I'm new here. I just wanted some opinions.

I've had a 2002 VW Jetta TDI since January 2005 (226 000 total kms on the vehicle). In that time, I have spent 6000 dollars on maintenace at the dealer. That's not a typo, that's 3 zeros... I'm thinking very seriously about selling or trading it in. The only things that holding me back are:

1) I may be over the hump and done paying these riduculous costs and
2) The milege is excellent. I'm getting 50 miles/gal combined city/highway.

What do you think? Should I get rid of her or ride it out and hope things average out?[/align]

Old 11-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Default RE: My Jetta Maintenance costs are ridiculous

We're in the same boat as you. No problems up to 60,000 miles. At 60,000 miles the warranty dies and seemingly, so does the car. Car currently has 64,000 miles on it and we've replaced the A/C compressor, alternator, transmission, batteries, and now we're having an issue with the gear selector light not turning off.

Almost ready to wipe my hands clean of VW. It's a pity because we love the car, we just can't justify the revolving repairs.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:45 PM

okay this might sound silly...but i think all cars have their ups and downs and sometimes you pay more than you would like. of course you are going to eat the cost more at a dealership than a local shop. my mom has this little theory. if you take the cost of repairs on the vehicle in one year and divide it by 12...then technically you are only paying x amount a month. i bought my 01 1.8t last april 07, immediatley had to drop $$$ for tires, breaks, and some water pump issue so there was an easy $1500 out the door. i still have a coolant leak at $350 plus a 130k tuneup at $600. its the cost of a jetta. just imagine if you owned a ford what you would be spending...LoL

Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 PM

I agree. I bought a 2006 Jetta three Months ago and was surprised about the service cost. Luckily I bought an additional 4 year warranty which will cut the cost down to $50 but I agree to start doing your own service when warranty expires.

I also own a 1996 Dodge caravan with 315,000 miles and do everything myself from oil change to a new transmission in January. Yes it itakes time to learn what to do but with time and willingness you can save a lot of money.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 PM

I'm new on this site, but I've owned Volkswagens for 20 years, mostly deisel ones. As a commuter I've saved far more in fuel costs then repairs have ever cost. As for the Ford mentioned above, just drive one, then get back into your Volks; you'll remember right away, why you chose Volkswagen.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:42 PM

I only go to the dealer for parts I cant get anywhere else. like mr. gp said a good manuel, a good set of tools and some patience go a looong way. or if your that sick of it i'll give you $2000 straight up for it

Old 11-28-2008, 07:15 PM

OK, here are the repairs/maintenance since Sept 2005. I got this print out from the dealer last time I was in knowing that I've been paying too much and debating getting rid of the car.

09/16/2005 – 128000 service, repl timing belt –
$1032
01/11/2006 – mvi, oil change, repl wiper, misc, brake light,
emerg brake, rear brake service, transmission
$975
06/05/2006 – 144000 service, power accessory
$363
07/11/2006 – engine light on
$393
10/05/2006 – 160000 service, repl drive belt, lower engine cover
$574
05/08/2007 – 176000 service, recall/update
$171
10/10/2007 – 192000 service, replace front brake, rear brake disc
$1086
01/16/2008 – mvi, front strut mount
$354
03/14/2008 – 208000 service
$172
10/16/2008 – 224000 service
$168

OK, I know going to the dealer is going to cost me more, but you only get what you pay for IMO. A local garage mechanic told me once that Volkswagens are "hitler's revenge" - That's a quote... plus I have trouble trusting a lot of these local guys. I "think" I can trust the dealer, or can I ???

I don't have the time to do the work myself and quite honestly, I'm not interested in doing it either.

These numbers add up roughly 5200 bucks with another 800 in warranty items. Most of these parts are not dealer prices either. The dealer actually provides 3rd party parts, yeah I was surprised too. Sure they probably charge a small fee for bring the parts in, but they are still way cheaper (relatively).

I was hoping the Jetta was going to be a pay now save later scenario, but it's turning into a pay now, pay now, pay now, save nothing, go in the hole scenario.

I drive roughly 35000 km per year. I also have a another timing belt replacement coming up at 256 000 km. The last one cost me 1032 bucks as you can see above. I believe she will be gone by then.

I do like the car. It really goes when you hit the gas, but this a little much...

I'm looking very seriously at a Subaru Forrester. I live in the boonies and need some 4 wheel drive capabilities.[/align]

Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 PM

That's terrible. I have a friend that worked at a dealership before, and others who work for dealerships have confirmed this; they will charge you 13 hours of labor for a 2 hour job, simply because the (repair) manual says that's how long it should take. Learn to do your own service, find a reputable garage, or deal with the fact that the dealership is going to screw you six ways from Sunday on every little thing they can. You don't always "get what you pay for" with stealerships. In fact mostly the opposite. VW's are fun cars, they aren't meant for the person who wants something that they'll never have to fix, because cars like that usually aren't FUN. It's part of owning a Volkswagen. Maybe you should be driving Toyota Camry.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

WOW you got robbed? Where do you live man cause I'm gonna come over and rob you too. Over half of that stuff you could have done yourself and saved on labor costs! Do you or anyone know what exactly they do at your scheduled maintenance?? Nothing you can't do yourself! Seriously do your own work and you'll reap the benefits

Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM

thats a lot of cost...but i also dont think you can complain too much taking it to a dealer. a part can cost $2 but because they have to charge a full hours worth of work you will walk out with a cost of $110 because labor is so expensive. parts are cheap, labor is expensive. either learn to do the work yourself or find a local shop that does the work for cheaper. but seeing how you live in the boonies it probably wasnt smart to buy a car that most people get confused to work on. my dad had to sell his volvo to move to the middle of nowhere to buy a nissan because nobody would know how to work on the car and if they did they would charge him up the ***. i love my VWs but it sounds best to simplify your car for your living conditions. a sacrafice.

Quick Reply: My Jetta Maintenance costs are ridiculous