Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My jetta is broken

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Default My jetta is broken

Got an 05 Jetta GLS I4 2.slo recently and need to clean it up a bit so it can actually be used. It's been sitting for 2 months because the brakes are gone and I am running a pretty darn tight budget.
Currently this peice needs:
-New rotors all around
-New pads all around
-Ebrake repair (does not hold at all currently, don't know if i need new shoes or what)
-Catalytic converter repair? (got a cheap ELM237 scanner to check the engine light, spit out P0420 code. Not sure if this is a big deal but I'm pretty sure we don't have emissions testing here)
-New fluids probably

I don't know what else I should look for. I also have no tools other than basic stuff like screwdrivers. I live in atlantic canada so not sure where i should buy parts that are not dog**** and tools on the cheap too.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 46
Size:  951 Bytes

Please add Atlantic Canada for you profile?

If you don't have any tools then find someone that can do the jobs?

VAG Error Code: 16804/001056
EOBD II Error Code: P0420

Fault Location:
Catalyst System, Bank 1 - Efficiency Below Threshold/Lower Limit Exceeded/Upper Limit Exceeded

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Leakage in Intake and/or Exhaust System.
Catalyst faulty.
Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty.
Oxygen Sensor(s) Control faulty.
Exhaust tube.
Intake air leaks.
Fuel injectors may be faulty.
Fuel injector leaks.
Spark plugs may be faulty.
Improper ignition timing.

Possible Solutions:
Check Intake and Exhaust System for Leaks.
Check Catalyst.
Check Oxygen Sensor(s).
Check Oxygen Sensor(s) Control.
Perform Oxygen Sensor(s) Aging Check.

Special Notes:
For 1.8T's experiencing this fault code, this thread may be useful: Aftermarket DP/Cat -DTC - Cat efficiency below threshold - Who has this DTC and with DP/Cat
Check the Official Factory Repair Information for any Technical Product Information (TPI)/Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) that apply to dealer level Engine Controller flash updates for the vehicle in question
VW Vehicles with the Most TSBs .

Tech Notes:
As the code description implies the P0420 code means that the vehicle's control module has detected that the three-way catalytic converter is not working properly (is not as efficient as the factory is expecting). Replacing the Oxygen (O2) sensors may sometimes fix the code, but in most cases the catalytic convert needs to be replaced to fix the problem. If the P0420 code is combined with other codes, try fixing the other codes first.

When is the code detected?:
Three way catalytic converter Bank 1 does not operate properly.
Three way catalyst converter Bank 1 does not have enough oxygen storage capacity.

Description:
The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the switching frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 (front O2 sensor) and heated oxygen sensors 2 (rear O2 sensor).
A three way catalyst converter (Manifold) with high oxygen storage capacity will indicate a low switching frequency of Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 2 (G130). As oxygen storage capacity decreases, the Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 2 (G130) switching frequency will increase.
When the frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 and 2 approaches a specified limit value, the three way catalyst malfunction is diagnosed.

As taken from my new https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ge...oftware-34973/

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 01-21-2016, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
Welcome to the forum.

Please add Atlantic Canada for you profile?

If you don't have any tools then find someone that can do the jobs?

VAG Error Code: 16804/001056
EOBD II Error Code: P0420

Fault Location:
Catalyst System, Bank 1 - Efficiency Below Threshold/Lower Limit Exceeded/Upper Limit Exceeded

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Leakage in Intake and/or Exhaust System.
Catalyst faulty.
Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty.
Oxygen Sensor(s) Control faulty.
Exhaust tube.
Intake air leaks.
Fuel injectors may be faulty.
Fuel injector leaks.
Spark plugs may be faulty.
Improper ignition timing.

Possible Solutions:
Check Intake and Exhaust System for Leaks.
Check Catalyst.
Check Oxygen Sensor(s).
Check Oxygen Sensor(s) Control.
Perform Oxygen Sensor(s) Aging Check.

Special Notes:
For 1.8T's experiencing this fault code, this thread may be useful: Aftermarket DP/Cat -DTC - Cat efficiency below threshold - Who has this DTC and with DP/Cat
Check the Official Factory Repair Information for any Technical Product Information (TPI)/Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) that apply to dealer level Engine Controller flash updates for the vehicle in question
VW Vehicles with the Most TSBs .

Tech Notes:
As the code description implies the P0420 code means that the vehicle's control module has detected that the three-way catalytic converter is not working properly (is not as efficient as the factory is expecting). Replacing the Oxygen (O2) sensors may sometimes fix the code, but in most cases the catalytic convert needs to be replaced to fix the problem. If the P0420 code is combined with other codes, try fixing the other codes first.

When is the code detected?:
Three way catalytic converter Bank 1 does not operate properly.
Three way catalyst converter Bank 1 does not have enough oxygen storage capacity.

Description:
The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the switching frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 (front O2 sensor) and heated oxygen sensors 2 (rear O2 sensor).
A three way catalyst converter (Manifold) with high oxygen storage capacity will indicate a low switching frequency of Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 2 (G130). As oxygen storage capacity decreases, the Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 2 (G130) switching frequency will increase.
When the frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 and 2 approaches a specified limit value, the three way catalyst malfunction is diagnosed.

As taken from my new https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ge...oftware-34973/

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/
Thanks for the info. I'd like to do as much as I can myself but ultimately very little work as this car is going to be a beater. I guess the real questions are-
Who from/what brakes and rotors should I buy? I'm currently looking at some bosch as amazon carries them but if there is a better alternative at a similar price or equal at a lesser price I'm willing to jump on it.
And do I need to fix that P0420 code immediately? As in, will it harm the car or usage in any significant way? We don't have emissions testing and I don't really have alot of cash to throw around currently. This is the only code being tripped.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

There are a few front brake discs fitted to the 2005 Jetta, some are different diameters. Search VOLKSWAGEN Autopart Catalogue for the part number and Google it?