Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission Trouble: 99 Jetta

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Default Manual Transmission Trouble: 99 Jetta

Having some trouble with the transmission in my 99 Jetta. It's a 5 speed manual, and two days ago I was driving on the freeway, exiting from one to another. When I downshifted into fourth, I got no acceleration it just kind of lurched a little. Shifted into third and got the same thing. Put it in N and it just kind of struggled to idle, then died. I Turned the car off and tried to start it again; didn't start the first time but started up the second time and it drove the rest of the day like normal.

Then yesterday, pretty much the same thing happened, only this time I was on res. roads accelerating out of an intersection, and the slipping or lurching started again, this time in third gear, and I again downshifted with the same results and then the car died. Then the same thing, first start no go, second time started like normal and has been driving fine since.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get it in a shop this weekend, and have to work all day m-f next week. Is this something that sounds like it's going to get worse soon?