Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lead Time for Sportwagen TDI

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Default Lead Time for Sportwagen TDI

I gave up on my first choice VW dealership and tried to get a response from a new one.
I e-mailed for an appointment and made it clear I want to order a TDI Sportwagen, Platinum Gray Metallic, Art Gray interior, six speed manual, roof edge spoiler, body side molding, kayak racks, trunk liner and Ipod adapter. Stock radio, no nav system, no panoramic roof, stock rims. I am willing to order and wait for what I want.
Both my cars are rear drive, manual transmissions so I asked if in some combination I could drive a TDI to see the performance, a six speed to feel the quality of the shift and a wagon to see the sight lines or blind spots. Fine they replied come on in, it may be hard to order what you want but we'll try. During the test drive of a TDI six speed sedan I am ask "What if we can't you can get a TDI Sportwagen?" "Well we might as well end the drive now I'm not interested in a sedan."
I was told that in three months they might get a customer number and then they possibly could use that number to generate an order for me to get a car then. No guarantees.
I'm not a neophyte, I've been to the Ford Plant in Wixon, Ford Engine #2 in Cleveland as a Tier One supplier and the BMW factory in South Carolina as a customer. I am a car guy, both repairs like the new clutch in the Merkur as well as reading Wards every week. I'm not a huge gearhead, but I am better than most at following the industry.
Do I need to be patient, or should I look for a another dealership or do I have no hope of getting the Sportwagen TDI the way I want and should give up. My other option is to drive the half mile to the Mini dealership and buy a Clubman. I know Mini will take an order and tell me the wait up front.

So anybody got any hints how to order my car or should I just plead my case to VW North America. I thought in this economy any customer with cash in hand was a rare commodity.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Banned

you answered your own question, contact VWoA if they tell you some crap like that dealership did I'd be very suprised. at the very least they can direct you to an approved factory dealership. I'f all else fails go with an Audi they will order Exactly what you ask for with a shorter turn around, better service plan and resale value. just my 2.4 cents. sorry about this site...

Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Banned

B U m p

Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 AM

Any idea on how to contact VW of NA?

The Volkswagen website doesn't really let you send a general e-mail or should I just call:
Volkswagen Group of America
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Dr.
Herndon, VA 20171
(703) 364-7000
and hopefully find someone willing to help.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 PM

wow,
I just tried a different dealership and was quoted five months for delivery.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Banned

are you happy with that? sounds alright to me.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Banned
Old 03-11-2009, 01:14 PM

I checked their online inventory at
http://www.vw.com/?sem=208416580
and they do not have any Sportwagens TDI or gas.
Since I now have two dealerships both giving me a five month time frame to get one ordered my biggest question is when do they start taking orders for the 2010 model year.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Default Just bought one today almost on a lark...

Hi,

I just bought a black on black navi, mats, NO roof in Greenwich, ct today. Got a good deal. I called around a lot.

They have one in Danbury black on black, roof NO navi. Give them a call.

FORGET about ordering one. Seriously. VW messed up BIGTIME and as a result, dealers don't give a f*** about these cars or getting them for people. At the same time, they're saddled with tdi coupes that they can't give away.

Really, take what you can get. Between no sales tax in ct and the $1300 tax credit, the value for this car is off the hook.

Good luck,

Jason