Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jetta Wheel & Snow Tire Advice Needed - PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Default Jetta Wheel & Snow Tire Advice Needed - PLEASE HELP

Hi all. I’m a brand new member and am far from a VW junkie or car expert. I just am a regular guy from Wisconsin with a question on a 2006 VW Jetta GLI. It’s my wife’s car and after 2 winters of driving on street tires (225/45ZR17) we are trying to plan ahead with a different option for this winter. The current rim/tire setup is terrible at best and very dangerous in even an inch of snow.

What I would like to do is buy separate rims that would fit more standard tires sizes and have a set of regular snow tires installed on them so I can just dis-mount and re-mount the tires twice a year for summer/winter.

The models in the 225/45ZR17 tire size are all really expensive and I just want regular, average snow tires. Regular steel rims are just fine and I don’t care about appearance at all… it’s a pure utility decision.

My question is what are my options for cheap but dependable rims? What size will I need? What other vehicle makes/models will fit them? Where are good places to look for purchasing them… online? Junk yards? Dealers? Etc…? Can I get rims that will fit more common sized tires so I can get some snow tires without paying a boat load for them?

Like I said, I’m not a car expert and don’t know much about them, I’m just a regular guy looking for a good solution to making his wife’s car safer to drive in the winter. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you in advance!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:39 AM

You should try tirerack.com. They have sometimes good deals. Even walmart, sears or any other local place that sells tires. I bought a set of tires from tirerack last year and got them shipped. 15 or 16' should be ok and u can put steel rims.
Hope this helps. Best of luck with your tires and rims.