Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jetta in need of some tlc

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Default jetta in need of some tlc

i have a 95 jetta vr6 which i love to death. it has almost 196,000 miles and still going strong, in a sense. the time is coming down to make a decision, let the car go and buy another used and old car with possible problems, or keep this used and old car with problems and love it a little longer. heres the run down.

i bought it 5 years ago from the original owner who used it as a commuter car in the bay area. it had 127,000 miles when i bought it. the first day i had it, my ex broke the sunroof (even tho it was on its way out anyway). from there it had its fair share of normal problems, nothing too out of control. present day, i have no heater (i blew the heater core 2 summers ago) no a/c (could just need to be charged), the sunroof (after putting $1200 into it) still does not work properly and well the paint is pretty much stripped. those are the items that i know need fixing. last year i had the water coolant cross over line replaced as well as the cam sensor. it is still running on the original clutch and motor, who knows when those might go or need to be replaced (im guessing sooner than later).

my question is do i let go of this car or put money into it and keep it for a few more years? ive never loved a car so much. this is my second jetta, after the first one was totalled i couldnt part and bought another. knowing what i know and the possible future issues i need opinions on what you would do. if i get another car, it wont be new and it will be just as old as my jetta now. so like i said, do i put money into something i already know what the issues are or do i put money into something that i know nothing about.

if i put money into the jetta it is going to be pricey. and if i do put money into it, where do i go? ive been going to lasher vw (the dealership) for the past 2 years and loving them, even tho it is $85 an hour for labor. they are honest, friendly and small. i need to know of other places, other places where you take your car and where you trust.

please help me out! thanks )