Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Important newer Jetta questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Default Important newer Jetta questions

It's no conspiracy, the rear brakes that come with the Jetta models 06-current? is the result of a bad brake system or bad pads it comes with. Do any research on the internet and there is reports of rear brakes going out under 30,000 miles. When I bought my used 2007 Jetta there was a minor squealing which I posted about. Most said ignore it since it went away after the car's rotors warmed up. Well after a month the squealing went to a grinding noise and got to the point it did not go away. I bought some new pads even though I was puzzled that rear brakes could go out before front brakes. Every car I've owned I never replaced the rear brakes on front wheel drive anywhere close to under 100000 miles. Then I went to replace the rear brakes myself even though I never tried it before I thought I could do it then found out I have no tire jack![:@] According to the manual, says some models may not come with one. If that is true that should be illegal. I mean what if I had a flat? So I paid a mechanic to do it, I asked the mechanic if the rear brake problem was true and he said it wasn't the pads that were a bad product but the system itself. Please tell me how the brake system could cause this? Does it put too much pressure on them or what? He said I would have to check them every 30000 miles. I found that ridiculous but since I got some good Duralast pads they may last longer.

He then told me about changing the oil. I haven't done it yet. Just buught the car in December and was planning doing it next month. He said that it required a specific type of synthetic oil or could damage the engine. After looking in the manual I think the mechanic got confused and thought I had a desiel engine. This is true in the manual what he said but I don't have a desiel engine, just a regular I-5 engine. Please confirm I could use regular oil or not?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Important newer Jetta questions

The callipers could be putting extra pressure on the discs due to an ABS unit (cannot remember what it's called)thatdistributes the right amount of pressure to the front and back. You want to use either 5W 40 or 10W 40 synthetic.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 PM

i would suggest not buying the duralast products they are the cheap ones on the market, they may last long but they dont brake as well, its similar to buying tires if you buy soft tires you get better grip but they dont last as long and vice versa, i realize this is a little bit late

Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 PM

A couple of questions...why do I have to use synthetic oil? According to the driver's manual it says it is for diesel engines? How do I know if the last owner or the dealership used it? If I was to use synthetic, the intervals between oil changes should be much greater then 3000 miles I would imagine.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:37 PM

ya most of the owners manuals say you can go 5000 miles, and i have heard that with synthetic you can go like 7000

Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 PM

As for the brakes I thought Duralast was supposed to be good brakes. I used them in my Mazda and drove many miles on them and they worked good. I only went to Auto Zone so guess the next time I'll try to find something better.

As for the rear brakes could I get aftermarket calipers or do something that can be done with the existing ones I have? What about taking off the ABS function in the car at least when there is no Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Style Definitions table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:"; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} precipitation out out or would that make a difference?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 PM

Back rotors and break pads going out a lot faster than the front one has been a problem with VW for quite some time. I have talked to VW technician and they told me that VW programed the back brakes to brake harder than the front to give it a more sporty feel. I don't know if it was a crock of crap or if its true, most other cars on the market have brakes that are about 60% front brakes and 40% back brakes.