Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Default RE: HELP!!! Will not start!

ORIGINAL: racerx002

If you have a test light or multimeter disconnect the harness from the ignition coil and turn the ignition on and see if you are getting any power at the coil. If not it's probably a relay or fuse. If you are getting power the coil is bad. I only have the fuse diagrams from 99 1/2 to 05. I'd go to your local auto parts store and get a chitons manual for your car and they will be listed there.
There are three wire going into the connector at the coil. One of them is hot. Does this mean my coil's bad? Shouldn't I get a signal from the computer?

Also, I was out messing with the Jetta today, and the battery is dead. I know that this car has a factory alarm, and I know the previous owner mentioned something about this car not starting if the alarm is active. Will placing a good battery with charge "cancel" this alarm?

Another item. A buddy of mine told me that if I have a digital readout odometer (I do) and clock in working order, that my "computer" most likely is fine. Today as I was trying to start the Jetta, I noticed when I turn the key to the on position, the digital readout (odo side) reads 10 02. The "0" in the "10" is more like an upside down "U", but I don't know if that is intentional, or a burnt out LED indicator. That spot on the odo is occupied by a "1", so yes, I used every means possible to check... haha.

Anyway, that's where I'm at right now. I'll be back with a new battery, and I'm pricing a coil.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Your ecu is fine you just need a new battery and coil. To get the alarm off while you have the battery disconnected hold the + and - cables together for about a minute and that wil reset the memory of the ecu in turn shutting off the alarm.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 PM

I am not giving up yet, I really think this will be a nice car for our family...

I am flummoxed though.

Ok, I checked the power coming into the coil. With the key in the on position, I'm reading right around 12volts (the two outside terminals) I think that's right. When the starter is cranked, this drops a little bit. I think I got that right, correct? This would lead us to believe the coil is bad. I just replaced the coil, and $118 later, still no running Jetta. It's too dark to mess with right now, but when the sun comes up what's the best course of action.

Note: the coil I removed I tested with a continuity (*ohm) meter. The two leads for the high tension winding read .4ohm, which according to spec (from Autozone's computer) is no good. The low tension produced similar results, i.e. out of spec. I believe that the old coil was bad. I tested the new coil the same way before install, and it was jumping between .4 and .5 ohm. .5 - .7 ohm is where it should read according to the specs I got. Did the bums give me a bad "new" coil?

Can you folks feel the frustration through the ether?

Still not running.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

I'd say the bad coil in turn fouled your spark plugs and wires.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:09 AM

Ok, I can live with that. I'll get plugs and wires today and put them in. Tell me this though... why would I get no signal to the injectors if the coil, plugs and wires were the issue... Does the injector signal rely on the ignintion?

Just curious. Thanks again all for hanging in there with me on this, especially you racerx002. I really appreciate it.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Man, I forgot you weren't getting power at the injectors. That would have to be a fuse or your fuel pump relay or a bad ground connection. I don't know where those are located on your car. You would just have to pick up a repair manual to find out where those are and how to test the relay. I hope I haven't cost you alot of money all for nothing. We'll get her going.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 AM

It's cool. All these parts I've replaced so far were the originals as far as I can tell. I'm getting a hands on crash course so to speak. I've always been a bit intimidated by electrical systems, injection, ignition, you know- the hot stuff.
I didn't get to install the plugs and wires yesterday, but I'm going to the auto parts store today, and I will look for the chilton's book. I never really liked hayne's as much, more pics, less diagrams... anyway, I'm armed with a multimeter, hand tools, and soon the manual.
Thanks again, I should have a running car soon! Just in case, knock on some collective wood out there if you're reading this.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Collective wood, I like that. We will fight by your side VW soldier and god speed.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Update time... I got the Haynes book. It's ok- I now know what relay is what. According to (follow along in your own manuals) page 12-21's diagram, the relay number "24"is the fuel pump relay. When I operate the ignition switch, this should "click" audibly, I should be able to feel the relay operate if my finger is on it? I also do not hear the fuel pump operate, but I am not sure I ever really noticed it making a noise when the Jetta started before. At any rate, I think we've got it narrowed down...
I ordered a new relay, it will be here Tuesday afternoon. It's only another $18, so what the hell?

Is my "test" of the fuel pump relay correct? Would this cause no spark? I am not sure if this was the ultimate cause of the Jetta not firing. I despise electrical gremlins.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

That's a good sign that it's the relay. You still not getting a spark is strange. I don't know if the ignition and the the fuel system have to be working in concert to get a spark. You would just have to follow the wiring diagrams to see if they share a wire.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Will not start!