Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heating Vent Routing - 96 Jetta GL 4cyl 2.0 litre

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Default Heating Vent Routing - 96 Jetta GL 4cyl 2.0 litre

Hello esteemed and enlightened VW forum readers,
I have a 96 Jetta GL and am currently experiencing problems switching the heater air flow to the "feet" vent. On the 96 Jetta, there are 3 ***** for adjusting heat and a/c routing and temp. The first (far left) ****, adjusts the air volume 1 through 4. The second adjusts temperature, and the 3rd adjusts venting. This third switch is the issue. The first setting (when the **** is turned fully clockwise) vents the airflow to the windshield defrost. The second, one click counter, adjusts the flow to the feet. The problem is, when I turn the switch to the "feet" selection, the flow remains on the windshield defrost. If I turn it to the next setting past feet, there is airflow from the front vents, but not from the feet vent. Basically, something has happened and I can no longer get the venting to the feet selection, but all the other selections work fine. Also, the switch feels loose and turns fairly easily whereas before there was tension in the switch, I believe the venting is controlled by a cable connected to the switch. Is this an easy fix? How do I get at the cable to re-connect it or adjust it? Thank you for the input.
RM