Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Girlfriend buying a Jetta, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Default Girlfriend buying a Jetta, advice?

Hi all, I am new to the VW forums, basically just registered to get a little feedback here.
My girlfriend is getting rid of her high school cruiser (1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT) and is looking to upgrade to a VW Jetta. I love German cars, and therefore completely support her decision. I found two, both 5 speeds, with about 90K on them; one is a GLS, the other a GLS turbo. Do you have any suggestions of things I should watch out for? I like the sounds of the GLS turbo, with the added power. I also appreciate the configuration of a DOHC motor over the SOHC 2.0. What do you think? How fast are they really stock? I drive a lightly modified E36 325is 5 speed (intake, exhaust) as a daily driver, how would it compare? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Default RE: Girlfriend buying a Jetta, advice?

big difference, the T's will run man, i test drove both and couldnt put myself in N/A. gas mileage is better in the 2.0 obviously but if you can keep out of the turbo spool a little mileage isnt too bad in the 1.8. im speakin in reference to the hatches and not the jettas but i imagine it would be a similar story.
As for comparing to other cars, i have intake only done to my car and i pull stock M3's from a dig.
Hope this helps, oh yeah and what year jetta? i think it was around the end of 02 they started puting more power in them stock so you may want to check into that, it jumped from 150 to 180.
Maybe someone else here knows more about the jettas and differences.
good luck

Old 01-31-2007, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the advice so far, I am really leaning towards the 1.8T but I came across a GLX VR6. Are all GLX's VR6's? These are '00 and '01's by the way. What do you make of the VR6 engine? I know neuspeed used to make a supercharger kit for it, but a few guys said it wasn't as bulletproof as they heard.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 PM

i dig em, but dont know too much about them, bagel is the man you want, he has a jetta VR6 and can tell you much more about it all.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Auto....I love my VW, of course with every car you get the quirks. I haven't had too many problems with my car...I had the belt tensioner pulley bearing seize up and destroyed my belt. There's no timing belt to change and that's a relief, there's a timing chain. It really depends on what you want to acheive; if you want to race, turbo might be a good way to go, the turbo makes a good foundation. Just a driver, something quick, VR6 is the way to go. Either way, to put aftermarket parts on the car is expensive, gotta really shop around. Eurotuner magazine, or online, has great articles about this, great magazine. Some of the Jetta have a lot of electrical problems, and sometimes mechanical. A brake switch got replaced for free at the dealership cause it's under recall. Sometimes it's little things, haven't heard too much about major problems. Hope all this helps..

Old 02-05-2007, 05:41 PM

Don't buy it... I've had nothing but problems. The car handles very well, however nothing is worth having to take your car into the shop constantly. Almost all of my problems have been electrical. There are no symptoms, but pretty much every service light on my car has appeared at some point. It's more like a christmast tree than a car. I've had terrible service at all 3 of the dealership service stores and I will NEVER buy another VW again.

They're cute cars and drive wonderfully, but they come from a horrible company that does not make a quality product or treat its customers well.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:02 PM
tfp

you joined a vw forum just to post in this one thread and bash the company. nothing better to do with your time?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:18 AM

I own a 01' Jetta GLS. Everything that was recalled failed at one point or another... the hazards/oxygen sensor/powerwindow piece/etc...
I was pretty let down when all this happened in the span of 6 mo. Since then she's been purring like a kitten and runs great!. No electrical problems I was
fearing just the heater/ac buttons don't light anymore but that's cause the stereo instalation guys must have unplugged and forgot to reconnect the lead, but I'm gonna fix that myself. She burns a lot of oil, is ok on gas, but I'm very satisfied with this car. Sometimes when I drive my wifes honda I slam the doors shut cause I'm used to the heavy doors of the Jetta. Mechanically, the car seems overenginered, but I like the simple style of the interior and exterior body.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, if you don't mind I may post links to possible auto trader buys just for your expertise. I understand about every car having it's quirks - my BMW's are the same way. Just what you want I suppose. The electrical stuff does deter me a little, and so does the oil burining issue. I have heard that VW's are notorious for both. Hope it works out; I would like to see her in a 1.8T or V6 model. Aren't the stock V6's supposed to have as much power as my stock 325? I raced one once when all I had was a short throw shift kit and it was close. He jumped on me, I pulled away in second and held top end through 4th. Thoughts? How would a 1.8T stack up? Stock with 150 horse I would imagine I would pull, but I know turbos and a couple electrical add ons and some bolt ons could leave me eating dust. What do you think?

Thanks for the information by the way.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

I'm running almost 200 HP, I think....but I guess I'll know whenI Dyno it. I've had some ****ty vehicles, then I've had some good ones, I'm a mechanic on fighter aircraft in the military, these cars are nothing compared to the jets that completely shut down and everything. Trust me, as long as you fix it the first time, the problem won't come back.

Quick Reply: Girlfriend buying a Jetta, advice?