Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior Rear View Mirror Replacemnt

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Default Exterior Rear View Mirror Replacemnt

A friend of mine has a 2001 Jetta 2.0 with 60K on the clock. It is a good basic transportation vehicle, with a few dents and scratches on it. I detailed it for him this weekend, and it really looks nice. The engine compartment in these cars really looks good detailed.

Both esterior rear view mirrors are broken. One doesn't motor anymore and the driver's side just hangs down. They are both electric.

I've seen replacements on eBay for $40, which seems really cheap, considering that just the GLASS for a BMW mirror is like $150.

Used mirrors from wreckers are like $100 or more. So I am suspicious that someone on eBay can sell new ones for $40. Has anyone had experience with this vendor?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...T&viewitem=

Also, any tips on how to remove and replace the mirrors would be sincerely appreciated.

Nice little car. Reminds me of my old GTI. Has a sunroof and VW just replaced the autobox under warranty. I'm telling him to keep it. It ain't pretty, but it runs. If it had new mirrors, everything would work.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Default RE: Exterior Rear View Mirror Replacemnt

My left mirror's glass was broken and I'm looking for a replacement too. The glass actually fell off when it was cracked, I took a look at the back there are several push-on clips, I guess you'll have to carefully pry it off. To access the power plug, you need to take off the triangle cover inside the door. My local public library happens to have a book for my car, I'd suggest you to look for the same.

As of ebay seller, my own experience is if it has a very high rate after a lot of transactions, then it's trustworthy. I'll try to find a glass only auction, if not I'll have to buy the whole thing.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Thanks. Goood advice.

The "generic" mirrors on eBay are painted black. While used ones can be had in matching colors, if you are lucky.

Both mirrors were wacked into trees. The motor is dangling inside the mount, so the glass is attached to the motor, but the motor is broken off the base - and doesn't work. The other side is better, but the motor is shot and the outside plastic housing is shattered.

My friend is not a careful driver, but the Jetta has held up well in spite of that.

I'll check the library for a Bently manual on the car. Looks like I'll have to pull the inner door panel off....

Old 01-07-2009, 06:38 PM

just remember you get what you pay for, it you were looking to buy a whole mirror buy from the stealership im sorry i have the same issue and i bought a cheaper aftermarket one and it wouldnt align right, so idk what to tell you other than that