Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust System Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Default Exhaust System Help

I need some help finding VW Jetta Exhaust system diagrams for my 2002 Jetta, I recently took my Jetta to a VW dealing because I heard some unusual noise coming from under the car. VW told me that the entire exhaust system has to be replaced (even tough the exhaust it's self is fine) because the bracket holding the pipe with comes out from the cat. convertor is completly missing. I ask how could the enitre bracket and silceners be missing and they said they didn't know. I suspect they removed the part because their are four screw holes on the empty bracket but no silcener.[:@] If one screw came lose i could understand but 4!

I need some help with a diagram showing me how the set-up should look so any help would be great.

Old 11-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Jsd
Default RE: Exhaust System Help

Just replace the bracket! That's nonsense. If the exhaust system is not rusted out, the cat and everything is decent and fine, don't pay for a whole new exhaust system. Dealers are about making money, not finding the best and cheapest solution. Go to an exhaust shop, and have them look at it. This is something you probably would only need to drop the exhaust system and replace the bracket or weld on a new support which any exhaust shop can do. Exhaust can cost several hundred dollars (500-800 complete). They are taking you for a ride.

Dont' go back to the dealer unless it's an engine problem or a computer code problem.

Let me put it into perspective for you. My step-father brought in a company vehicle for service at the dealership and asked them to just aim the headlights to save him the trouble. The mechanic said that they couldn't because the "screws" were missing and they would have to replace both headlights at $500 EACH. Well he told the guy to get a life went to a wall and lined them up in 10 minutes. That just goes to show you how bad dealerships can be. I've worked at a few and I hate to say it but it's a money game, not a service game.

Sorry to hear that, it's unfortunate but a reality. That's my best advice based on your explanation of the problem. You won't need a diagram, (dont have one anyway) but it's a bracket, brackets can be replace, metal can be welded. If anyone at any point suggests you need to replace an entire exhaust system is lying and you should just say no thanks and leave. Worst case, you might have to replace one component of the exhaust, just cut it out, replace it and weld it. No need to pay for a whole new exhaust. Transmission problems, go to a trans shop, exhaust, go to an exhaust shop. :-)

Good luck and keep us posted.

-Jeff