Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions Decisions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Default Decisions Decisions.

I had a gti but things went wrong and i no longer have it.
I loved that car but now its time to move on.

And now I'm looking into a jetta.

However one thing i want to understand more about volkswagens is the types [tdi, vr6, 1.8t etc.]
Like i've been searching for a vr6 because from what i know its the top of the line without going to crazy.

Basically I'm wondering whats the pros and cons of a 1.8t and a vr6
like would i get anything from the 1.8 that i cant get from the vr6
is the vr6 a all around better car.

Im looking to spend about 10,000 give or take a few thousand.
Whats the best thing to get?
[year, type, car]

Old 08-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Default RE: Decisions Decisions.

the only difference in the car would be the motor and some trim options.

question for you is, what are your plans for the car? Are you planning on modding it?

if so, do you want easy horsepower, or harder/more horsepower?

you can get a 1.8t to like 250whp decently easy in a 1.8t, but beyond there it gets difficult. But, with the VR, you can get like 200 easyish, then you have to go turbo and get huge umbers in the 300's. its all on what you want.

I dont know what you mean by a better car, better car how? The 1.8t is an awesome motor, but its not quite as reliable and bullet proof as the VR if you dont take care of it right. That said, the vr isnt the "top of the line" its just the most powerful motor stock in a jetta. Top of the line is the GLI, and it has a 1.8t(or VR in some years). so it all depends on your plans for the car

Old 08-04-2007, 12:08 PM

i want to mod it some but the thing is this is going to be my everyday car and i do a lot of driving
so i want to do some mods to it without actually destroying the milage too much.
like someone else said on here.
i just want my car to give me that speed and power when i want it.

and i think i've decided on the vr6 engine for it

so basicallywhat your saying is comparing the glx vr and like the gls vr
the only differencewould bethe trim?

why do you consider the gli top of the line?

sorry for all the questions im just trying to find somethings oout before i purchase another vw.
and i had no real luck searching the web.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:09 PM

Well, to be honest, going big turbo even on a 1.8t youre still gonna get good mileage. With a vr, pretty much all you can do is exhaust, intake, and maybe cams if you wanna spend the money, but its hard to make a N/A monster out of a vr. Personally, id suggest a 1.8t for you.

I dont think the VR came in the GLS, but if it did, then in the GLX you usually get just nicer little things, like the climatronic, wood grain interior, etc; i cant say everything for sure to be honest.

GLI is top of the line, cuz, depending on the year, youll get a 6-speed, recaro racing seats, HID's(i think!), 18inch BBS RC's, painted calipers, climatronic, GLI shifter, GLI lip kit and votex side skirts, sport suspenion that lowers you about an inch, and a 1.8t. If its before 2004, you pretty much get a GLX with a 6-speed and some other little upgrades, but they arent as crazy sweet as the 2004.5 GLI's.

like i said, if youre looking for a good 250 whp and good mileage, just go with a 1.8t. if youre looking for like 200 BHP(a stock for have like 170 or 180 i think) then just go with a VR. just my opinions. i think what youre looking for is just a 1.8t, its the easiest to mod and cheapest to get good average power out of. Plus, the 1.8t is the tuning world's baby, so theres stuff for it everywhere. you could rebuild one with oly performance parts if you had to...haha