Crankshaft position and Cylinder Missfire codes ... What's going on? - Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Old 01-01-2018, 10:37 AM

Default Crankshaft position and Cylinder Missfire codes ... What's going on?

I have a 2007 Jetta (2.5L BCG) with 185K miles that was running fine. Shut off the engine for about 10 minutes and then restarted. Engine light came on and runs a bit rough especially at low rpm or initial acceleration. Car runs okay at higher rpm although I can detect some low level vibration. Drove for 50+ miles with usual acceleration etc. After engine cooled (and codes reset), the engine starts with minimal vibration, but when I put it into gear and move a few feet, the engine light comes back on.

Detected codes P0016, P0300, P0301 - P0305. Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation, Random Misfire Detected, Cylinders 1-5 Misfire detected.

What does this combination seem to indicate if they all showed up at the same time???

What sequence of actions can I take to work through possible issues?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations
Old 01-02-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations
Fair enough ... was just in a hurry since my ride is dead (sorta). Thanks
Old 01-08-2018, 03:55 PM

Well, I've replaced the crankshaft sensor; no change.

Then I found that I was very low on oil (no dash light indicator), so I just changed the oil/oil filter; no change in error codes. It appears that i was down to under 3 liters of oil when the capacity is 6 liters.

I may change the cam shaft sensor too, before starting to pursue a timing chain replacement.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

You need to find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to check the system out and post any error codes found.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
You need to find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to check the system out and post any error codes found.
I'll see who I might track down for this. Does the following look like a legitimate source for a VCDS?

VAG-COM VCDS 2018 - OBD2 Diagnostic Cable & Software (for VAG Cars: VW, AUDI, SEAT, SKODA)

Thanks
Old 01-09-2018, 12:06 PM

Will the VAG-COM\VCDS give me more codes /repair direction than what I get with just an OBDII scanner?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

That link a cracked cable and software.