Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Default Coolant light blinking

Hi,

I recently bought this vw Jetta 02 model from a reputed dealer. It runs fine and no complaint about anything except the coolant light. Whenever I start the car in the morning or when I start my car after a long gap (say2-3 hrs), the coolant light starts blinking. When I warm up my car for 3 mins, turn off my engine and when I again turned on, the blinking goes off. Otherwise, I would start riding the car until the coolant temperature needle starts raising to some extent, stop the car, turn off and again on the engine. The blinking goes off.
I also noted that the temperature hasn't ever gone beyond 190 F. so, I think it's not due to engine over heating. The coolant level is well above the minimum marked in the expansion tank, so that's not problem either. Could any one suggest what the problem might be?? this has been happening ever since I bought this car (for abt 5 months). i really dont feel okay every monring when I start this car. Invested lot of money on that.
I would appreciate your reply and suggestions.

thanks,
Bala

Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Jsd
Default RE: Coolant light blinking

Sounds like a bad coolant sensor. Bring it in and have the sensor checked or replaced

-Jeff

Old 06-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Look at your fluid, if it's a weird looking color, I would do a complete coolant flush, it helps the system and you can start from scratch, knowing you have the right amount of fluid, the type, and then you can continue troubleshooting...

Old 06-07-2006, 10:48 PM

Hey Jeff,
thank you for replying. I was also thinking abt this. But, why does it happen only when I start the car (after a long gap) and goes off once I turn off and on my engine? Does it mean that the sensor activates only when the coolant is hot enough? Anyway, your reply was really helpful and I will go and try replacing my sensor.

thanks, once again Jeff.

Bala

Old 06-07-2006, 10:50 PM

Thnks for replying Bagel. My coolant doesn't give any wierd color. I thik once the coolant was completely flushed some 4-5 mts ago. As Jeff suggested, I might try replacing the sensor. I do appreciate your efforts in replying.

Bala

Old 06-15-2006, 06:19 PM

the thermostat could be sticking do you get good heat is the water pump belt ok is the water pump leaking fluid are the hosses in good shape not pinching these are some other possibilities the sensor can be expensive and can also affect the performance if not working.some more thoughts

Old 06-15-2006, 08:59 PM

me again could just be a freeky wire if the engine stays cool and the fluid is ok ect leave it alone

Old 06-16-2006, 12:23 AM

Hi Stv,

Thanks for your reply.. I see that my coolan level in the expansion tank is decreasing. But, it never went below the minimum level marked in the expansion tank. But, I see that the level is getting down(not abruptly though). I would fill water / G12 coolant and when I check the level after a week, it would go down. I drive around 45-50 miles a day. Could you tell me what can I do with that? Do I need to change my coolant?? it's kinda annoying everyday when I start my car the ligh also blinks...
Thanks for your time, Stv.

Bala

Old 06-16-2006, 02:26 PM

changing the coolant wont do anything realy although v.w. is quite paticular about the type. check with a v.w. service place just call.you need to locate where you are loosing coolant look for coolant puddles around motor and frame (not from spills when filling though) lay cardboard under the car after driving to show any drips and follow them up.Try removing the expantion tank lid start the car put your heater on full and let the car come up to temp.this should bleed the system and may turn the light off.If you dont get full heat fast I would suspect the thermostat it is an easy cheap fix if you do it yourself.do you smell coolant in the car? do your windows steam up on defrost or have a film on them this means a leaking heater core.have fun chow