Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:20 AM
Default Coolant leak?

Well I seem to have to top it off every 10 days or so (worse when it is colder).
When I first bought the coolant the guy just put it right in, with no water dilution.
aren't you suppose to make it part water?
2000 Jetta VR6.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:00 AM
Default RE: Coolant leak?

Yes, half water. he may have put in 100% because of cold weather.

Just a rookie but you may have a leak.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Look at the jug, does it say to mix? Usually you can buy them already mixed, did you use the red or green? The dealership had the right anti-freeze to use, not too pricey. In the morning do you notice a puddle, or any anti-freeze anywhere? Could be a headgasket...never know till you poke round?

Old 02-07-2007, 02:09 AM

It's red (or actually pink). I can't tell if there is a puddle as the road is filthy with old leaves.
Is this an expensive problem? And should I just add water next time (since I've used half the jug since topping it up 1.5 years ago.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:46 AM

yeah, I was thinking head gasket too since you said it happens when it's cold.

Pink is the kind that lasts long. Don't put in the green kind.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:00 AM

is that expensive? or am I better off just opping it off periodically (and should I use water next time?)?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Just use the anti-freeze, and run it with te top off, until coolant comes out. Shut off the car and put the top on, doing that ensures the system is bled and purged. Could just have air in the system...good starting point.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: bagel

Just use the anti-freeze, and run it with te top off, until coolant comes out. Shut off the car and put the top on, doing that ensures the system is bled and purged. Could just have air in the system...good starting point.
Really? Man I got a lot to learn. I barely know what pressure to keep my tires at (38psi, right?).

So open the lid, run the car until coolant oozes out, then turn off the car and put the lid back on? Will do.
thanks so much.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:55 AM

I have a 99 jetta with the same issue, and it turned out that the auxillary water pump was leaking, I changed out the pump and I have not had another issue with the coolant level since. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: bagel

How long should I run the car with the cap off? I ran it for about 5 minutes (and the engine was already warm) and the coolant wouldn't reach the top. In fact I don't think it budged).

Quick Reply: Coolant leak?