Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold-start noise (seconday air injection valve), wierd smell from vents

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Default cold-start noise (seconday air injection valve), wierd smell from vents

1st issue:

I own a 2005 Volkswagen New Jetta, and ever since I bought the car off the lot, it always made this 10-15 sec noise whenever I make a cold-start. To be more descriptive: Upon start the rpms rise to about 1000 as I hear a noise that sounds kind of like a kitchen blender. It's definitely coming from underneath the hood of the car. But after about 10-15 sec, the rpms die down to about 7-8000 with the noise attenuating, and as it attenuates, I hear a steady whistle that goes away once the noise finally goes away as well.

I've had the dealer investigate this, and they informed me that the noise has something to do with the secondary air injection valve. They said it's not serious and VW is working on a fix for it, but that was about a couple of months after I bought the car in March of 2005. Now it's a year and half later, 16500 miles, and the noise still exists.

2nd issue:

I've also had this wierd smell emitting from the vents only after a couple a months since I bought the car. At first it wasn't pungent, so I ignored it. But now it's grown into "the beast" and it smells just like vinegar. The only way I can stand it is when I turn on the air conditioner and have it circulate or when I leave the windows open. I thought it could be mildew building up somewhere, so I attempted to dry it out by turning on the heat full blast at the highest temp setting for 20 min. Though that definitely "hid" the smell, it's still present once I turn off the heat.

Does anyone have either of these issues and/or know how to deal with them???