Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light on,ouch.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:21 AM
Default Check engine light on,ouch.

First,I'kll apologize for not having all the info.but I'm trying.
My Mom has an olf Buick that was having some problems,and that started all this.
About a year ago my nephew and his wife moved from here,Tampa,to Boston.
And this winter was a bit snowy from what I've heard.So,they decided to move on from their 2009 Jetta to something all-wheel drive.I think they decideed on a Subaru,but that doesn't really matter to this problem.
When they saw how little the dealer would give them for the Jetta,they decided to give it to my Mom.Pretty nice.5 year old paid-off cars aren't a very common gift for us.
On the 1400 mile drive to bring it here,the Check engine light came on.
My sister,the lucky winner of the "Who gets to drive it to Tampa" sweepstakes,found a shop to diagnose the code.And here's where the problem comes in.
She didn't write down the code #,but she says they told her it meant that there was eithe a problem with the gas cap,or a small leak in the emmisions system.She bought a new cap and finished the trip without it ever coming back on.
I went out with my Mom to go drive a bit to get used to the car,and there are some wignificant issues to someone almost 80 who has never,and I really mean never,driven an import.The wiper stem on the right side of the wheel,right where the gear shift is on her Buick,I can see it's going to be a problem.She trie to put it in park from time to time.
Anyway,the engine light came back on.
It's running fine,smoothe idle,no surging or sputtering,but the lightr's on.
What emmision code would it set that would mean either a gas cap leak,or a small system leak?
I want to get this fixed for her,but I don't know what it's telling me yet.And I'd rather not drive it until something expensive fails to find out what it's saying.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 43
Size:  951 Bytes

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

If your in USA please add that to your profile? AutoZone will do a free scan in the hope you buy something of them.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/