Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light, now getting better MPG

Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 AM
Default Check Engine Light, now getting better MPG

My 2007 Jetta Wolfsburg just hit 103k miles. The check engine light came on for the first time. Took it to the shop and they told me it was a "general <something, air ratchet went off just as he said the next word>" code. Anyway, he said that I would need to bring it back when I could leave it so that they could smoke check it and do some further troubleshooting since the code could be one of many things. I have owned the car since it had 14k miles on it and I check my fuel mileage every time I fill up. I consistently get 28-28.5 MPG. Since the check engine light came on I am now getting around 31. Got 32 the first fill up and 30.8 on the next one. I haven't done anything different as far as my driving habits, still getting gas at the same place, etc. This car is bone stock except for a K&N air filter which has been in place since right after I bought the car. I'm not complaining about the improved mileage but will need to figure this out for my emissions inspection. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Just wait until you get your car scanned and post any error codes found.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 PM

Will do Keith. I just thought it was weird that my gas mileage IMPROVED so much. I'm hoping this is something that I can fix to pass emissions then "break" it again until the next inspection.