Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light Switch Recalled, but I Get Told Otherwise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Default Brake Light Switch Recalled, but I Get Told Otherwise?

I took the '99 VW Jetta I recently purchased from a private party in to the VW dealership today to have them check why the brakelight was coming on (I figured it was the recalled part). They claim there are no longer any "campaigns" for the VIN on my car and that most likely the part has already been replaced or there's no recall for that model. I then ask them that if that's the case, and the brake light has come back on, wouldn't that still be the same issue (a defective part)? He then tells me no, once the recalled part is replaced it's pretty much done and that if I like, they can do a computer diag for $100 and that we could then go from there.

I've got a feeling this is straight up BS and that I should probably call the VW 1800 number.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Brake Light Switch Recalled, but I Get Told Otherwise?

yea def do. I had mine replaced, a year later, maybe not even, it went bad again. The dealership replaced it without hassle. The dealership by my house is awesome, they hook people up! Call that number and see if you qualify for the recall, bet ya do! Hey listen if you think you are getting hassled, you are allowed as a customer to ask for proof and documentation stating why things are the way they are. If you think you are further being treated unfairly then you file a complaint with BBB(better Business Bureau).

Old 03-18-2008, 02:39 AM

Don't mean to bring back an old topic, but figured I'd give an update.

After calling the VW customer service hitline, they inform me that as the warranty has expired and the recalled part has already been replaced I am now the one responsible for replacing it.

Don't see how they feel that just because they replaced the part once that the thing couldn't be defective again...

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get rid of this annoying brake light problem?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Just go to the Dealership and tell them that you can't figure out why you're brake lights won't work. See what they say, I never had a warranty on my car and they replaced it twice. If a recall is fixed and then it comes back, they obviously didn't fix it.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Just to clarify, my actual brakelights do work. What I have is the red brake light in the driver console, the light that shows you the e-brake is engaged. I'm guessing this is what's also causing my cruise control to not function whatsoever.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

OOOO I got ya...I dunno about all that. I'll look into it 4 ya

Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 AM

brake fluid is low

Old 03-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Jrail beat me to it. Turns out that certain lights/icons mean different things and apparantly that's one of them...wired huh?? LOL

Old 03-23-2008, 05:10 PM

I was thinking maybe the brakepads were low... The last time I looked at the brake fluid resevoir, is seemed perfectly fine. Guess I'll have to check again.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 PM

brake pad light should look somthing like this (o)

Quick Reply: Brake Light Switch Recalled, but I Get Told Otherwise?