Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagel? Swedishgp? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Default Bagel? Swedishgp? Anyone?

Hey again, Today while i was driving down main street i noticed something wrong with my Jetta i have never noticed before. It's hard to describe but if im cruising at around 30 MPH or so and then hurry and floor it i have a rough clanking sound. almost sounds like when a U-Joint is goingbad in a truck, almost like there is some clack in it. It also does it when im shifting from one gear to another gear if i dont let the clutch out slowly. Sorry if you dont know what im talking about its hard to explain.I have no idea what it could be so i would appreciate it if someone could tell me something about it. thanks

Old 11-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Default RE: Bagel? Swedishgp? Anyone?

that does sound like a cv joint
or maybe a motor mount

Old 11-27-2008, 04:56 PM

your probably right Jrailer. I wonder how much thats gonna beJust another thing to my list i need to fix....

Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 PM

Almost positive it is a CV joint. If it was a motor mount, it would make some sort of noise at start up, and even shifting slowly...... if you got under the car and tried spinning and tugging on the cv joints and shafts, you should feel it for sure

Old 11-28-2008, 01:04 PM

Alright thanks, i will get my car on some ramps today and check it out. Thanks again, i might have some more questions in the near future.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:38 PM

also a motormount would make the car shake. if you think its the cv's go do a real slow u turn with the wheel all the way cranked and listen for "click click click"

Old 11-29-2008, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

I noticed CV joints make more liud noises when you turn either way, if it's "clanking" while accelerating then it would be a rod knock.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 PM

Im almost positive its a motor mount now, my cv joint seemed fine and likedubalicious said my car shakes when i go over6O. And im positive its not a rod knock.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Can you move the motor at all? Look to see while someone else is moving the motor if there's a cracked weld or anything else going on under there.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:09 PM

start it up with the hood open..... and have someone rev the engine while you look to see a lot of movement or anythng like that

Quick Reply: Bagel? Swedishgp? Anyone?