Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEM Intake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:58 AM
Default AEM Intake Problems

Hey sup dudes i have a 98 jetta wolfsburg (2.0L) and i went on Aem's site to look at intakes for my jetta and they only make a kit for a 99 do the engine setups on the 98 and 99 differ to where i couldnt put this intake on my car ?

Old 12-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Default RE: AEM Intake Problems

i think you should go with a custom intake. its not hard. that's what i'm going to do, after i do some prices comparisons. ill let you know.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:09 AM

aight that'd be cool let me know if it works out for u? thnx

Old 12-18-2006, 11:53 AM

custom is the cheapest and easiest, i made one for my dakota before this car with 3 inch pvc and rubber elbows with a cone on the end, real cheap but it did what it was supposed to

Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 PM

can u give me some specific directions if u could that'd be cool thnx

Old 12-18-2006, 08:21 PM

sure,
for starters,here is what i did, works great, i believe better than a so-called "cold air Intake" wth an open cone filter because it actually pulls air from outside instead of from the engine bay without puting a filter down near the ground. This is true cold-air intake and i highly recommend this mod and i love the difference it made, here is a link:

http://bambergvr6.50megs.com/stock_airbox_cai.htm

pretty basic but effective and with a k&n its even better. if you want more input from our site on this, here is where i posted it:

https://volkswagenforum.com/m_4179/tm.htm

you can also build a "cold-air" intake with a cone filter from autozone, rubber elbows, metal clamps and rubber straight piece (for the initial piece to start from the OEM intake) and some PVC piping. not sure where is the best place to start your custom piping on a 2.0L but find a good/fairly easy access piece that you can fit a piece of rubber tubing and measure the elbows and piping you would need to get the filter where you want it. you can take out teh old airboxing cause it will most likely be in your way. Its easiest if you have the means to cut the pvc while building that way you can get it just right. but fit the first piece on and work you way with elbows and PVC to where you want the filter, this is why you measure first off as to not waste money on pieces you dont need. just clamp the pieces together as you go, this probably isnt the best description but the project shouldnt need much, its fairly basic. on my truck my tubing came directly off the throttle body, i dont think it matters how close you get to it as long as the filter does its job.
sorry im in a hurry to get outta here let me know if you need more explanation and ill help tomorrow (cough-go with the stock air-box cld air intake-cough)
good luck
-j

Old 12-20-2006, 12:58 AM

So u Leave the factory airbox But take the guts out of it?... im kinda confused

Old 12-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Its easy bro, 3in Aluminum hose, runs directly into the hole in the airbox, after you remove the stock piece that comes from your light area. Throttle response is great, and it's cheap!!

Old 12-20-2006, 11:34 AM

troof,

no guts, just take out the tubing that from the stock air passage like bagel said then run the tubing from the hole that was in, down to the bumper or whereever you want to pull air from.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:58 PM

So i dont have to take off the headilight off unless i want the airflow to come from there?

Quick Reply: AEM Intake Problems