Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Jetta Intermittent starting

Old 09-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Default 97 Jetta Intermittent starting

I have a 97 Jetta GLS - manual trans. It is getting more difficult to start each day. It seems I have to press harder on the clutch in order to start it each day. Today I could not get it to start - no sound at all from starter. I ran the car all day to different places and it started fine throughout the day. It did eventually start when I went back to the car a couple hours later. Battery is good.
Is there some "switch" that is getting worn down in the clutch area?

Thanks so much

Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 PM

is it doing that when is humid or cold outside??

Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 AM

Hi - doesn't matter what the temperature/humidity is it seems. It seems like each day I have to press down harder and harder on the clutch in order for the car to start. Feel like I am pressing through the floor lately so wondering if there is a "switch" down there or some relay that is going. Battery is good and seems like starter/solenoid are good also.
thanks

Old 09-21-2010, 01:17 PM

I had that kind of issue few years back.. It took me like a month to figure out what was going on. It came out to be that ignition coil. Try checking yours closely and see if there are any cracks around it. Do you know where it is?? Just follow the middle plug from the distributor.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:27 PM

Hi - thanks. I see why you were asking about the humidity then. A crack in that coil would cause problems especially if humid I guess. I have not seen the coil but if you say just to follow the middle wire from distributor I will find it and check it. So just look visually for some small cracks ? Is it "easy" to replace ?

thanks again

Old 09-21-2010, 03:30 PM

Yeah, it isn't hard. There are two bolts. Have to remove the upper plastic thing, so you can gain access to them and get them out.... The 2.0L only has one coil. My car has the same engine. Even a tiny drop of water goes inside those cracks, it cause problems... My car would quit working while i was on the highway. It would restart again...

Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM

OK - I checked the coil and looks OK to me - maybe I will use magnifying glass to really check but it looks OK. Well I have tried just starting the car several more times while in the driveway (not trusting to take it out on the road) and it starts fine now. For now I will watch it and if it happens again I will try a new ignition coil.
thanks

Old 09-22-2010, 12:45 PM

OK. well let me know how everything goes...

Old 09-26-2010, 03:04 PM

Just to follow up - the ignition issue has not come up since that one time - I think this was a fluke but will keep the ignition coil in mind if it flares up again. Have another question however that is bugging me about same car. The speedometer does not work MOST of the time. It only works for about 6-8 miles if the car is cold (usually mornings). Once the car warms up the speedometer does not work. I replaced the speedometer transmitter but no change. Seems when car heats up speedometer does not work. Any ideas ? thanks

Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by tomkocz
Just to follow up - the ignition issue has not come up since that one time - I think this was a fluke but will keep the ignition coil in mind if it flares up again. Have another question however that is bugging me about same car. The speedometer does not work MOST of the time. It only works for about 6-8 miles if the car is cold (usually mornings). Once the car warms up the speedometer does not work. I replaced the speedometer transmitter but no change. Seems when car heats up speedometer does not work. Any ideas ? thanks
Sounds like the speed sensor. Is your an AT or manual?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Jetta Intermittent starting