Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 jetta GL question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Default 96 jetta GL question

!996 volkswagen jetta gl
2.0L/4 cyl.

So i know that its comon the the vw's to hear some knocking in the engine.. i recently have been hearing a similar but much louder knocking/clacking in the engine compartmentat about 2800 to about 3000. So i looked at the engine and when i had the engine around that 2800 rpm range the knocking was still audible and sounded like it was coming from the headers. Everythings stock on the entire car. Above or below this rpm the car sounds normal and everything runs perfect. Clacking noise is only audible. Not noticable effecting performance. Just curious if anyone could help with some advice or input into what could be causing this and possible suggestions would be appreciated.

Also.. if using: fuel injector cleaner in the gas, or octane booster.. would either cause thicker exhaust/ smoky exhaust?
if not.. what could be causing this? oil levels are fine. oil stick reading is supposed to be inbetween the vertical hashes. *= represents where oil is when read.

MIN---->Max

=> C|-------*|=================0==D

oil level is just below max level. says that if more is put in than that if could cause damage to catalytic converter?