Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Jetta III cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Default 95 Jetta III cooling problems

Hey guess, i just bought this jetta about 2 weeks ago, i had checked the coolant and noticed there was a ton of oil in it. I checked the oil and there is no coolant in the oil, so my first question is what would cause this? My next question is i refilled the antifreeze, and its still overheating. I drive for a while, let it cool off add more coolant because its acting like there is air trapped in the system somewhere. What is the easiest way to get air out of a closed system like in the Jetta? If anyone could help me with these problems I would greatly appreciate it. Other than those two issues I have to tell ya i LOVE the car and will buy VW from here on.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:35 AM

How much oil are you losing? If you are getting a lot of engine oil contaminating your coolant, you must be losing oil. The only way I can see this happening is that your Jetta's engine has a pressure differential problem between your oil pressure being greater to that of your coolant system pressure, and as the result, the oil is bleeding into the coolant from a broken head gasket condition. In my experience, this is usually backwards though. I believe you must have an unusually high oil pressure problem in order for this condition to occur. It's gotta' be a blown head gasket causing your problem, so I'd probably start by changing my oil and then use a really good engine oil flush to hopefully dissolve any gunk that might be clogging up the system (which must be causing the possible high pressure problem), drain it and the coolant system, then replace the head gasket, put it all back together (be careful to not over torque the bolts though - might damage your new gasket - see auth. VW repair manual for all of this), refill everything and hopefully you'll be good to go. Air is probably being introduced into the coolant system by way of this gasket problem too. So fixing all of this will probably solve your problems. This is the only thing I can think of that might possibly be the cause. Good Luck!!!