Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jetta 2.0L coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Default 2002 Jetta 2.0L coolant leak

I have a 2002 Jetta with a coolant leak on the driver's side of the engine. Coolant is collecting on top of the tansmission. I cannot find a leak in any of the hoses or connections. I could detect a slight hissing while checking but I cannot isolate it. Any ideas appreciated. I am wondering if it might be leaking from the bottom of the transmission cooler. Help, help, help

Old 07-03-2010, 11:28 PM

the leak is coming from the plastic piece that is holding the ect (Engine collant tempeture) sensor. i am currently having the same issue. i went to the dealershipp to buy the new gasket and replace it. i talked to the guy at the parts dept. and he says those plastic pieces sometimes crack over time... i figured he was just trying to sell me something i didnt need. nope. i was wrong sure enough after removing the part. it was in fact cracked... i gotta go back and buy the replacement part but looking online to find out the name of this piece... so... looks like were kinda in the same boat here. lol well thats as far as i got. if you find out any more info let me know.

Danny

Old 07-04-2010, 01:51 AM

I had the same problem before. It was that coolant flange. Mine had cracks on it and the coolant was all over the transmission.
germanautoparts.com has good deals on parts.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Default Jetta coolant leak

Thanks for the help, I replaced the coolant flange and so far so good. The biggest problem I had was making sure the gasket stayed in place while bolting it up. I did not use anything like a sealant to help with that for fear of whatever I used might degrade the gasket. All in all not a big job but a bit tedious.

I have another problem, this car was a repo that my son purchased for a first car and I think i have been catching up on maintainance work. I have it in pretty good shape except for a persistent all leak. Someone had stripped the oil pan plug and replaced with an oversize plug and stripped that one as well. I replaced the pan and put in a gasket and torqued everything up. I noticed yesterday that the oil pan to block bolts are at a different torque than the oil pan to bell housing and it looks like that is where it is seeping. The bell housing is 33 ft lbs and I have retightened but not quite up to 33. things were getting pretty tight and the toque wrench had not clicked and I was afraid of stripping the bolts. It still looks like it might be seeping a little. Should I try for the 33 or pull the pan and reset or just live with it? I hate anything dripping under my vehicles.

Thanks

Old 07-07-2010, 07:52 PM

yeah or tht gasket you got is bad. How much torque did you put on it??

Last edited by elrocco88; 07-07-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Default cooling hose flange replacement 2.0l Jetta

I replaced the cooling hose flange on my 2003 2.0l. I cleaned the manifold to shiny and placed it carefully with the new gasket provided. It worked well for about 18 months and now I see coolant pooling on the transmission and I have been adding coolant when I get that light on my dash every week. I was hopeful the job would last longer. Should I have used a silicone gasket sealer with the o-ring? Is there some trick I wasn't aware of? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm about to do the job again since the parts are cheap and it's getting to be a nuisance!!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 AM

the leak is coming from the plastic piece that is holding the ect (Engine collant tempeture) sensor. i am currently having the same issue. i went to the dealershipp to buy the new gasket and replace it. i talked to the guy at the parts dept. and he says those plastic pieces