Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jetta 1.8GL No Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Default 2002 Jetta 1.8GL No Start

I have a 2002 Jetta Wagon with about 96k miles on it. The car seems to have 2 separate but similar issues:

1. Sometimes when I go to turn it on, it will not turn over. The dash lights and radio come on, then die. Nothing. I can give it gas, nothing. After trying 6 or 7 times it will finally start.

2. Sometimes when I go to turn it on, it will not turn over but will crank. I can give it gas, wiggle the key, rock the car. Nothing.

Twice now I've had to tow it.

I towed it to a mechanic, he kept the car a week. It started up fine for him every time he tried. He gave the car back to me with no new information.
Help!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 90
Size:  951 Bytes

Electrical problems are hard to diagnose over the web.

Originally Posted by nixole
1. Sometimes when I go to turn it on, it will not turn over. The dash lights and radio come on, then die. Nothing. I can give it gas, nothing. After trying 6 or 7 times it will finally start.
Well you need to check all you electrical connections especially test the starter motor circuit with a multimeter.

Originally Posted by nixole
2. Sometimes when I go to turn it on, it will not turn over but will crank. I can give it gas, wiggle the key, rock the car. Nothing.
It will not turn over but will crank is a contradiction in terms if the engine turns over it does crank.

Maybe not related but something to consider. VW's in your year use a 109 relay located in the fuse\relay box under the bonnet is says 109 on top. These do go fault and they are the main feed to the ecu and other things and when faulty the engine will crank but not start. Its worth keeping a spare relay in the car just in case it does packup one day, they aren't expensive.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:38 PM

It could be the ign switch also,
But you can use a wire to start it next time this happens.
If you have the ing on ( dash lights on) use a wire and and connect it from the batt + to the starter solenoid till it starts and save the towing charges.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:04 AM

Seems simple but how about replacing the battery? Im a chick and have a bad habit of leaving the lights on when I walk away and after so many times doing that I started having the same issue until about a year later the battery died completely.. replaced it and its perfect again.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by sewoeno
Seems simple but how about replacing the battery? Im a chick and have a bad habit of leaving the lights on when I walk away and after so many times doing that I started having the same issue until about a year later the battery died completely.. replaced it and its perfect again.

Yes, possibly an alternator... if your battery isn't getting charged. Plus winter weather kills batteries fast. Or a starter...

Old 12-15-2011, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sewoeno
Im a chick and have a bad habit of leaving the lights on when I walk away.
Doesn't the lights on warning work on yours?

Its no good guessing on components as its an expensive hobby. As I've said you need the car testing with a good multimeter and someone who know how to check components.

You can do a simple test on the battery yourself. Remove the filler tops of the battery so you can see the electrolyte (make sure there is some in?) get someone to crank the engine over whether its starts or not keep cranking for 15 seconds while you look inside each cell. If one cell starts to bubble violently that cell is duff new battery needed. If you have a multimeter handy then check the voltage while you are cranking it should be greater than 9.6v. If it isn't then recharge the battery and try it again.