Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Jetta ALH Clutch question. Issue grinding sound when fully engaged or disengagd

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Default 2001 Jetta ALH Clutch question. Issue grinding sound when fully engaged or disengagd

Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I bought a 2001 Jetta TDI with 225,000 miles. Stick shift.
It was sitting for about a year so I did a lot of suspension work and all. I drove it about 200 miles and then all of a sudden the clutch started feeling very soft. Then on my way home when I noticed a few things. When I first pressed the clutch and let go it would be about 2 inches from the floor and would engage. Then as I kept driving I noticed that it would engage almost immediatelyNow it makes a weird almost grinding sound when I press it in all the way. It is hard to change gears. I have not driven it since I got homebecause of this. So I needed to bleed the brakes anyways so bled the brakes and clutch slave cylinder but still no change. I used the Motive power bleeder because I heard it was the best. So now it makes the sound when the clutch is not pressed at all and when I press it in all the way. If I press it a little the sound goes away.

The previous owner changed the brake master cylinder recently so that is why I wanted to bleed the brakes and clutch slave cylinder. When I was on the highway the car did not slip or anything so what could have changed withing maybe 200 miles of driving. The car was sitting for about a year before I purchased it.Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was also wondering if I should bleed the clutch differntly? Can it be a loose or broken clutch spring?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 464
Size:  951 Bytes

Well the first thing to check is the hydraulics try bleeding the master cylinder and slave cylinder they do give trouble. It appears you have tried that so you may need a new clutch fitted.

The brake master cylinder reservoir is the same for the clutch master cylinder make sure its topped up.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/