Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Jetta 2.0 not turbocharged.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:16 AM
Default 2001 Jetta 2.0 not turbocharged.

My son has a 2001 Jetta. Nice little car, but gremlins are emerging. I have done some research of the issues and we have replaced the plugs, wires and coil pack. Coil pack was cracked and continuing to crack.

Issue:

No/loss of power, like it is choking sometimes. After the above fixes the car has improved to a point. He can at least drive it. Here is where we are now. When he would accelerate the car would stall and almost die. ROUGH sound coming from the intake, like it was getting too much air. So I took the airbox apart from the air inlet tube connecting to the TPS. I put my hand over it and when he gave it gas it did not stall any longer. The car is giving the appearance of too much air. I hillbillied duct tape over half of the inlet tube and had him drive it around the block. It is not perfect, but it is almost perfect. Now obviously I don't want to leave duct tape on the air inlet tube. What is going on? MAF? TPS? Unfortunately we cannot get a scanner to read the codes. There is something hindering that. The dealer can't even connect their high dollar computer on it to diagnose. It just wont register. This has all been research and trial and error. The check engine light is on, but like I said we have had zero luck with any type of mechanic reading the codes much less clearing them.

Ideas suggestions?

Thanks,

Concerned Dad.....

Old 06-28-2010, 02:28 AM

Did you took it to a VW dealer??

Old 06-29-2010, 12:03 AM

Well, due to dealer costs no. In the past I have used forums similar to this one. Most of the time it is successful. I guess just not in here. I am a decent mechanic. Some things just trip me up. I don't know a mechanic that knows every single thing about every single car out there. Nor is there a school that teaches that. Even though they share the same design on most systems there is something proprietary to each brand.

But anyways, thanks for the reply. At least I know I am not alone.

John

Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 PM

Have u tried taking it to like auto zone or oreilly shucks?? They have scanners and do it for free just to get the codes.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 AM

There is an aftermarket radio in the car. We have to find the "k" wire and disconnect it. My son is supposed to be looking for this wire. Once we get that accomplished then hopefully we can take it to autozone or oreillys.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:52 AM

I have an alldata account. If u need instructions on something just let me know or when u get the codes.