Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 VR6 misfiring issues

Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Default 2000 VR6 misfiring issues

I have a 2000 Jetta VR6, and I've had considerable issues with it since I bought it in 2001 with 27,000 miles on it. It started misfiring horribly fairly soon after I bought it, and, after replacing the spark plugs, wires, and the ignition coil twice, it got a bit better. The issues returned, and a new catalytic converter was then installed. Well, now the car's back to its old tricks: it's misfiring again, and while I hope it's just the plug wires, I'm getting really sick of this routine (if it wasn't for the car's lovely engine, I would've dumped it years ago!). Anybody have any experience with the VR6 engine - what do I do? I'm sick of pouring money into this thing, and now, since it's not going to be worth much to sell, I'm stuck. Help!!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2000 VR6 misfiring issues

I replaced the coil pack, and have had no problems with it since. Also, if you don't use the right spark plugs the motor doesn't like to run right. I use NGK from VW, and it runs great. Two questions..1)Any engine codes, engine light's on? 2)How do you know it's a misifre? What facts are you basing this on? Anyways, let mek now what goes on, I know the motor pretty well and have had a lot of research done on these motors.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:50 AM

My coil pack has been replaced twice now, and the spark plugs have been replaced countless times since I bought the car. I had been using the NGK plugs, but, in all honesty, I don't know what is in it now for plugs. The wires haven't been replaced in a while, and as I hadn't run the car for about two months until a couple of weeks back (when it started misfiring again), I'm hoping that the wires are just shot or something. I know it's misfiring because it's losing power, and the check engine light flashes - it definitely loses a cylinder or two, and the power is reduced a lot when it happens (which is almost constantly). The check engine light is on almost constantly in the car - I think that may be due, in part, to the recall that needs to still be performed by VW (something about adjusting the sensitivity of the catalytic converter).

Thanks for your help - this is such a fun engine and fun car to drive, and I just want it back the way it should be!!

Old 02-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

That recall is to adjust the sensativity in the sensor. Any little thing will set the sensor off and so VW is resetting the software sensability. At first I thought the cat was plugged, but it wasn't glowing red, or really even hot. I changed the coil pack, and it ran better than before I had a problem. Did you run the codes? Should tell you what cylinder is misfired.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:21 AM

So, apparently this time around, the problem is an injector. My car is currently in pieces at a local shop, and I'm going to have to wait for almost another week before I get it back (for some reason, it's going to take them 5 days to get an injector in stock). I have such good luck...not!! At least after it's running again I can take it to my local VW dealer and have them adjust the sensitivity in the cat sensor, so hopefully I won't have to stare at the check engine light all the time anymore...

Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Wow that sux!! I hope you're not getting raped on labor. Yea i can't get the recall done becasue I have that racing chip and if they do it then it will erase the chip and I'll have to pay another $400 to get it done.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:00 AM

The shop I go to charges $54/hr. for labor - not too bad, but I'm sure I'll still cry when I pick the car up (hopefully today!). I just hope this resolves the issues I've had with this car - I love driving it...when it runs - which isn't as often as I would like.

What a pain that you can't get the cat sensor recall performed - but, I'm sure having that chip in there is an acceptable price to pay! Your VR6 must be a blast - I'm jealous!!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

it is worth the price!! it is a blast, but will be more fun when I afford the turbo kit I want and run almost 400HP with front wheel drive.
Hey next time someone quotes you a price, make sure you look at everything to make sure you're not getting screwed. The estimate is great document to have. for example, you said it's $54/hour for labor, but they charged you like $300 all together for 3 hours of work. Something is up cause $54x3 hours=$162, not $300 so they charged you extra for labor. I always run the math they give me and they overcharge me for labor I let them know. If you don't check, ppl will screw you. Just some advice I've learned over the years...