Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#2 cylinder misfire

Old 03-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Default #2 cylinder misfire

99 jetta with a 2.0 liter that appears to run on 3 cylinders at times.The check engine light flashes and then remains on.Took it to a general garage and he said the trouble code basically said that a cylinder had misfired.This condition lasts for miles then goes away.I replaced the plugs and wires and it ran good for a month or so, then returned again for about 10 miles.this time I took it to a VW expert who said the trouble code stated "random misfire cylinder #2 due to fuel level."He admitted that he has not seen this before and is willing to do trouble shooting, at my expense for sure.Anyone ever seen or experienced this condition or trouble code before? Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....Tonebone

Old 03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: #2 cylinder misfire

That is def weird, if you wouldn't have stated "due to fuel level" I would've ventured to say plugs/wires/coil. I can't even begin to think of what a fuel level would have to do with a misfire...besides the spark igniting the fuel, bad fuel?? I dunno but when you find out, please let us know.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:02 PM

Ummm try changing your coil pack but try to change any vacuum lines u see broken first that can cause misfires as well...

Old 03-03-2007, 10:19 AM

Low fuel levels .... Did you think that maybe you have a clogged injector?!?! Check your fuel rails. I am no mechanic I just work in a parts department and not even at a VW dealer but that would just make good sense!

Old 03-20-2007, 05:21 PM

sorry but i work with scanners, genesys, and dirbys all day long.. and never have a i saw a RANDOM MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE code that points out a specific cylinder... its random for each cylinder and happens multiples of times.. also IT WILL NEVER SAY "BECAUSE OF FUEL" what engine do you have check your plug seals.. might be leaking oil and fouling out the plugs.. jsut enough oil to burn and foul out at times.. change your fuel filter. it may ahve said CYLINDER 2 MISFIRE check your coil packs.. head could be cracked.. numerous possibilities..some highly unlikely (head crack) .. have your injectors checked out.. injector seals.. get them cleaned.. and i mean removed.. and blown out.. or even replaced
so change your valve cover and plug seals.. do some more research..

also if the ENGINE LIGHT ever flashes pull over immediately at the nearest mechanic shop no MORE than 10miles.. or you could do detremental damage

Old 03-22-2007, 05:59 PM

I'm sorry too that you work all day with scanners,genesys and dirbys..but if you'll do some research alsoon OBD codes.com for VW's you'll find code P1300 which is a misfire due to fuel level too low. I also never said random multiple misfire. Irregardless I fixed the problem permanently today...I traded off the car. Thanks for everyones inputs and suggestions...Tonebone

Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 AM

I've got the same problem. Drove home from work, car drove great even seemed unusually strong. Left for work the next morning and got lots of missfiring and sputtering pulling out on the main road. Engine light started flashing like crazy and It had no power. Got it back home slapped on the scan tool and got back "random multiple cylinder misfire," "misfire cylinder 3,' and "misfire cylinder 1." My fuel was very low and it was a cool night last night so I guess it could be moisture. I filled up the tank and drove into work and back but I'm still having problems. It seems to run fine at low throttle but when I hammer down it craps out. Ignition going bad or injectors?

2000 Jetta GLS 2.0

Mike
[/align]

Old 04-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Default Jetta P1300 codes

I saw your post from a few years ago regarding P1300 for the Jetta. Did you ever figre out the problem? I am getting the dame code but cant figure it out.

Thanks in advance,
-pete

Originally Posted by wheatbuck
I've got the same problem. Drove home from work, car drove great even seemed unusually strong. Left for work the next morning and got lots of missfiring and sputtering pulling out on the main road. Engine light started flashing like crazy and It had no power. Got it back home slapped on the scan tool and got back "random multiple cylinder misfire," "misfire cylinder 3,' and "misfire cylinder 1." My fuel was very low and it was a cool night last night so I guess it could be moisture. I filled up the tank and drove into work and back but I'm still having problems. It seems to run fine at low throttle but when I hammer down it craps out. Ignition going bad or injectors?

2000 Jetta GLS 2.0

Mike
[/align]

Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by tonebone
99 jetta with a 2.0 liter that appears to run on 3 cylinders at times.The check engine light flashes and then remains on.Took it to a general garage and he said the trouble code basically said that a cylinder had misfired.This condition lasts for miles then goes away.I replaced the plugs and wires and it ran good for a month or so, then returned again for about 10 miles.this time I took it to a VW expert who said the trouble code stated "random misfire cylinder #2 due to fuel level."He admitted that he has not seen this before and is willing to do trouble shooting, at my expense for sure.Anyone ever seen or experienced this condition or trouble code before? Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....Tonebone
Simple fix i've done several of these cars. Remove all 4 coilpacs, inside there are 4 connectors, take a needlenose pliar and twist the connectors JUST SLIGHTLY reconnect with dialelectric grease and you are good to go!
i used to replace plugs and coilpacs till i found this simple solution the connector is bad sou we are using a new area to make connection by twisting the connector. works like a charm!!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by pkaralis01
I saw your post from a few years ago regarding P1300 for the Jetta. Did you ever figre out the problem? I am getting the dame code but cant figure it out.

Thanks in advance,
-pete
Remove all your coilpacs, inside there are 4 connectors twist each one just slightly this will renew the contact with the wires. Add grease if you want and reinstall. SIMPLE SIMPLE fix. Ive done 3 cars like this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: #2 cylinder misfire