Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 5 cyclinder issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Default 2.5 5 cyclinder issues

What kind of damage can happen to an engine when the dealership left my oil cap off since my last oil change 3 mo ago. Im having issues with the idle and a noise when I shift to 4th,It also has a start up noise for 45sec in the am.I need options, because the dealer is saying its normal. Please help

Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Default RE: 2.5 5 cyclinder issues

ORIGINAL: vavw

What kind of damage can happen to an engine when the dealership left my oil cap off since my last oil change 3 mo ago. Im having issues with the idle and a noise when I shift to 4th,It also has a start up noise for 45sec in the am.I need options, because the dealer is saying its normal. Please help
By no means am I an expert, but here are my thoughts.I think the two things you need to worry about are oil escaping from theengine anddebris or foreign objects getting into the engine. First thing you want to do is check the oil and look for splatter on and around your engine. If your oil level is low, that would explain the start up noise in the am. Second thing you want to do is check/change the oil filter. Did you have your oil changed already? Third thing you want to do is document this with the dealer. Get the manager's signature on a work order or "white paper" indicating their error, the date, etc.

I personally don't think you have anything to worry about. Idle and shift issues shouldn't be related to this situation. Noise issues on start up would though. Good luck, keep us updated.