Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.0 2001 jetta

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Default 2.0 2001 jetta

New to the VW world. Looking for some advice.

My background with the car leading to my current problem:
I just picked up an 01 jetta 5-speed with 99k on a dealer swapped motor and 222k on body. Driving and it threw an oxy sensor code. My buddy(mechanic at a Toyota) stupidly cleared code before writing down which one. I haven't gotten it again.

On the way home I got a blinking check code and rough idle and hesitation when accelerating. Got the code checked, #4 cylinder misfire. Looked at motor while running and noticed #4 spark cable arcing. I replaced the cables and plugs. Issue fixed. No problems since.

Today and my current problem:
Woke up today to a dead car. My fault, I am used to my truck with auto lights, I left the lights on last night. Jumped the car and on my way. After work I started my car and the idle was so low it died. I went do start again and it was barely cranking, but she fired! Again, low idle and stall. I let it sit for a minute and tried again. Barely cranking, and I mean like one crank every second or worse. Almost dead. But again fired! Held the gas and rpm at 1500 for 30 seconds and it held about 500rpm idle. After a few miles of driving I got normal idle.

I never payed attention before but now when I clutch the rpms drop to about 4-500 and immediately return to 800 idle. When I got home I shut her off and restarted no problem but it fired and rpms dropped to 500 then immediately bounced back to normal idle.

What is my issue here? My initial thought was battery holding SOME cold crank amps but no volts. But, the idle drop at normal temps 190deg when clutching makes me thing it may be related to the oxy sensor or MAF or throttle issue.

Anybody have this problem?