Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 jetta iii Gl with very rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Default 1995 jetta iii Gl with very rough idle

My 1995 Jetta III Gl 5 speed has been really running bad for the past 2 weeks. Here are the problem it has...

1.The idle is now very rough, at start up, and even when the engine is warmed up. If I try to let it idle, it will stall out without revving the engine. It seems like it has a miss. This has been for the past 2 weeks.

2. It burns oil and belches smoke out at startup but seems to settle down once warmed up. Ive had this car for a year and it always had this problem. 155,000 miles.

The check engine light comes on and goes out during this. I want to get a code reader, I can't find the obd i connector plug in the vehicle inside the car or under the hood. Can anyone tell me where it is. I believe obd ii specs have the connector within reach of the driver to hook the code scanner up. I'd get a scanner if I can find where to hook it up at.

Since I have owned this car I have put new plugs, new air filter, new plug wires, replaced the radiator and flushed the cooling system, used CRC Mass flow sensor cleaner, injector cleaner, and Lucas oil treatment, along with the regular oil changes. The engine sounds fine at around 3000-4500 rpm, like it has power. All the above items have benefited the cars performance.

I've look for cracked vacuum hoses, loose connections, and replaced some vacuum hoses going into the air cleaner and egr system that seem alittle worn.

I'm thinking this could be a worn timing belt, or something to do with the timing since it seems like the engine has a miss.

Any ideas would be appreciated, especially about where the connector for the code scanner is.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

If it's burning oil and blowing smoke you've either got a bad valve seal or seals or your piston rings are worn out causing low compression. If it's white and smells sweet you've got a blown head gasket or cracked head.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:46 AM

Ok, thanks...

its blowing blue smoke, can't smell any antifreeze and the coolant level is good, doesn't change...any ideas where the code scanner hookup is?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I have no idea on the data port but, I know it is a OBD II. You never know where they are, I was working on an Accord and searched for about 30 min and I had to call the dealer to find out it was behind the ashtray. If it's blue smoke then it is burning a lot of oil so, I'm afraid you've got a bad problem. You can do a compression check to see which valves are leaking though you should replace them all while you're up. You can also do a cylinder leakdown test to see if they are leaking. You can get the tools at any auto store.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:24 PM

Well, thanks for your reply again. I'm afraid this type of repair is beyond my level of comfort to do.... I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get it checked by my local vw repair shop, and get an estimate. I looked for the scanner plug again, pulled the trim from the bottom of the dash, pulled the lighter, no luck.. the only thing I didnt do was lift the console, maybe its there....thanks, if the problem is too expensive it may be best to look for another vehicle.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:39 PM

the data port is located next to the ash tray. all you have to do is remove the ash tray and slide the panel next to it to the left and there it is. problem is, the car isnt technically obdII you will have to have the vag com scanner if im not mistaken.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:18 PM

mine had the same problem and it was a vacuum leak... actually it had like 3 different leaks. mine had a cold air intake on it and the 2 vac lines running to the stock air box were just hanging and when i plugged them off i found one more, plugged it and no more problems. just check all the vac lines coming from the intake and throttle body. if you find any loose i can probably tell you where they go. also while you have a loose vac line grab a bottle of sea foam and run about 1/3 of it into the vac line.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the info. And exactly correct..... I had a split in the air intake hose on the bottom of it half way up. It was about a 1 inch split. Took the intake hose off and cleaned in up. Got a product called Magic Mender. Its like a rubber tape that you stretch and then wrap around whatever you are mending. It then shrinks up on its own to seal everything. Wrapped about 6 layers on it to build up the thickness. After this checked and replaced all the vacuum hoses I could find with new hoses that I cut to length. Most were on the air intake side of the engine.

Car ran smoother then still stalled. Now the check engine light came on. During this time I still couldn't find the code scanner port. I took it to a repair shop and they pulled the code for me. Faulty Mass flow sensor. This is after I cleaned the throttle with spray sea-foam and dumped a can in the gas tank. Also I sprayed CRC Mass flow Cleaner in the old sensor. Still no luck.

Just got a mass flow sensor from napa, a remanu Bosch. Hooked it up after disconecting the battery. Reconn the battery and fired it up. Check engine light is out and the engine purrs like a kitten. No stalling and it pulls strong. Looking at the old sensor compared to the new, the old one had one of the metal blades broke off inside.

If anyone needs to know where the connector port is, it right above the cigarette lighter. there is a plastic trim piece that pops off.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Anyone of these code readers recommended for a 95 jetta?

Thanks again for the help

Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM

also if you remove the ash tray, the little plastic piece slides to the left exposing the port... if you pop it off you risk breaking it.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alan L
Thanks for the info. And exactly correct..... I had a split in the air intake hose on the bottom of it half way up. It was about a 1 inch split. Took the intake hose off and cleaned in up. Got a product called Magic Mender. Its like a rubber tape that you stretch and then wrap around whatever you are mending. It then shrinks up on its own to seal everything. Wrapped about 6 layers on it to build up the thickness. After this checked and replaced all the vacuum hoses I could find with new hoses that I cut to length. Most were on the air intake side of the engine.
hi i guess it would be best to replace the air hose but i didn't encounter the magic mender yet, isn't that used for tires to mend holes??? and can it hold with the stresses inside the car.

Last edited by kevinlvy; 11-29-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Quick Reply: 1995 jetta iii Gl with very rough idle