Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Default 07 Spark Plugs

I need to change my spark plugs on my 07 Jetta, 2.5L. I pulled the top cover off the engine and didn't see what I'm used to seeing for plug wires. I did see five plastic plugs/cap looking devices on top of the engine with about four ~18 gauge wires going to them. Are the plugs under those? If so how do they (the caps) come off and is there anything else special about changing the plugs on this engine (basically, is it a do it yourself job)? My apologies for sounding stupid...first VW.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 AM

Bueller? come on, someone has to know. I bought the plugs a few days ago at the dealer and asked the parts guy if he knew how to get the coils off and he said he thought they just lifted off but didn't sound too confident with his anwer.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Smile

The plugs should be under those plastic plugs or coils. As you start to lift them up, just do it slowly. I dont know what size are those plugs to get them out. but, if you to like walmart they have this set that has 3 plug sockets. One of them should work for your jetta. If you need more help, just let me know...
Hope this helps!!

Old 07-05-2010, 12:24 AM

I finally got out there today and got the job done. It was actually probably the easiest plug change I've ever done. I was going to take pictures and post to try to help out the next person but my camera battery was dead, so I will try to give my best written description:

Once the engine cover is removed (the hardest part of the job). Locate the 5 coils on top of the engine. Unplug the coils by pushing the locking mechanism down while simultaneously pulling off the connector (you may need to use a flat tip screwdriver to pry to connector just to break the seal). Once the connector is off, as elrocco stated, just carefully pull up on the coil. It is a little tough to get the coil to lift off due to the sealing mechanism (like an o-ring) so just pull straight up with a steady motion and it will eventually come off. I did take a pair of channel locks with rubber padded handles and had to use the handle as a pry bar on some of coils just to get them started moving up. Once they started moving they came off fairly easily. Once the coils are off, the plugs are easy to access with a socket and about 10" worth of extension.

Definitely an easy job worth doing yourself and saving the money you would pay someone else.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:40 AM

Right on!! Glad you could do it. Mine are easier to take out, because i have the old system on my 98 Jetta. Just plug wires and the plugs.