Question about my intake.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Default Question about my intake.

Yeah so i just ordered my ESE Tuning single-stage air-intake a few days back and was wondering, do you think it will significantly increase the sound of my stock diverter valve? And i realize this may be a dumb question but it wont have any effect on my PSI of boost will it? Even though it is sucking in more air? Thanks for any and all help guys. Heres the link to the exact intake i ordered. http://www.esetuning.com/product-p/e...le-intakes.htm Its really just a cone filter w/breather and heatshield that replaces the stock airbox and bolts on to the stock intake piping.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Default RE: Question about my intake.

Yes your diverter will be louder, I dont know what you would consider significantly but imo yes. No it will not affect your boost pressure, it may get to max boost a LITTLE faster and any extra air will be purged through your diverter and wastegate. That turbo is not very big, dont try to raise the PSI on the stock application you will lose power and overheat.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:17 AM

Remember Turbo's are Exhaust driven, not intake driven.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:20 AM

Oh ok thanks. Yeah we've been through the raising the boost thing. Thanks though.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 AM

Np, see if u can post pics when u get it installed im curious.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:04 AM

Yeah like he said it wont affect boost, but itll get you there quicker, throttle response should be a little better, and the DV will be louder, probably pretty loud, considering i am still using the stock airbox with a K&N panel and 3inch CA tubing and mine is easily heard, im thinkin that with an open filter itll be loud.
let us know

Old 12-05-2006, 05:52 PM

Hm ill finally have that little pssht when i let off. SWEET lol.. Yeah ill put up pics oh and i got some pic of my car that i should have up pretty soon.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:17 AM

how hi do you think we could raise the boost on the stock turbo without overheating the engine.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:35 AM

The point is, you DO NOT want to raise the psi on the stock turbo. It will not overheat the engine, it will overheat the turbo, so you will lose power. If you want to look into playing with your boost do some research and understand how the system works before attempting something like that. Again you will not make any power and it will overheat the turbo. I have done it personally on an old 1.8T we were trying to blow up as an experiment with the dyno.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:46 AM

If you are asking hypothetically, if you were to raise the psi to 20psi and drive it for an extended period of time, the turbine may weld to the intermediate shaft and destroy your turbo, if this didnt happen the heat would damage the compressor wheel fairly quickly if not destroy it. Also the turbo would be so hot when you turn it off even if you waited a few minutes it would boil oil and coke up. Before this happens the air generated by the extra boost would most likely be too hot for the stock intercooler to handle and you would be forcing hot air into the engine, which probably would cause it to overheat.

Quick Reply: Question about my intake.