Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Default New Member

Hey everbody, I just bought my first V-dub last week and i absolutely love it. Its a 2005 GTI 2dr 1.8 T. Im not rushing into anything but am interested in some mods. I was wondering where a good place to start is, I was considering intake, exhaust, and possibly suspension. Anywho, thanks for any help and i have to say that NOW I KNOW WHAT YALL ARE TALKIN ABOUT! THESE CAS ARE AMAZING

Old 02-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Default RE: New Member

Yeah im new as well (didnt wanna make a new thread considering theres 2000000000000 of them saying "new member") Decent VW forums are hard to come by (at least in my eyes) so hopefully this will be a decent one. Dec 30 I bought a new 2006 GTI (MK4, not MK5) and my God that car is a dream. Got it fully loaded with leather, monsoon sound system, heated seats, the works. Ive put on a techtonics turboback on it and kamei grille and blacked out depo headlights. Pics are here My Ride i know right now its not much but give it time [8D]

Old 03-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Default RE: New Member/noises

hey man, your ride is almost exactly like mine... i love it too. mines charcoal though only difference. any difference with the turbo-back? also and this one goes out to all, anyone else ever hear the tapping? I listened to another VW before i bought this one because of the tap thatkicks in every once in a while for a second, and the other one did it too. wondering if thats normal? i had a car before that had a similar noise but it was a walking cam and was expected? ive also heard lifters tapping that sounded similar to this. anyone else have this noise?

Old 03-07-2006, 07:18 AM

Hi

I'm a new member of this forum....
and also a Beetle fanatic ( specially the old model).

Glad to meet you all

Old 03-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Jsd

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Old 03-11-2006, 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Joelzy

hey man, your ride is almost exactly like mine... i love it too. mines charcoal though only difference. any difference with the turbo-back? also and this one goes out to all, anyone else ever hear the tapping? I listened to another VW before i bought this one because of the tap thatkicks in every once in a while for a second, and the other one did it too. wondering if thats normal? i had a car before that had a similar noise but it was a walking cam and was expected? ive also heard lifters tapping that sounded similar to this. anyone else have this noise?
Yeah theres definitely a difference with the TB, and yes I have the clicking/tapping/pinging as well, normally when the car comes to a stop (AFTER i put the turboback on). Its just coming from the exhaust. Its really annoying but i heard that after a long time it eventually goes away. And its nothing to worry about.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:15 AM
Default RE: New Member

1.8t are great...
First thing you want is a Chip..
Don't worry about which brand..just get the one that has a dealer near you! (GIAC, APR, REVO, or UPsolute)
Exhaust- Well get a 3" Turboback..you'll feel the difference(GHL or APR have probably the best performance exhausts)
CAI- Just find a decent priced one (they all perform very similar) (GHL, Neuspeed, EIP, EVO, ESE there are a ton of them)
Suspension- Koni, K&W, H &R , there are alot as well

Have fun with the tuning!! You love it

Old 05-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Default exhaust and drop

Yeah, my next step is the APR 3" turbo back, but the best price i can find is around a grand. I expect it to be around there but just in case does anyone know if i can find it a little easier on the wallet. also for suspension, i want to do it right, my last truck i had to put spindells on the front along with the springs for the camber, Yet i have been told with the Volkswagens you dont have to go so fa with a 2" drop. i was told by what i consider a reliable resource, that just the springs would be sufficient and no damage would ensue. any thoughts or experience with this? im expecting a bumpy ride with the drop, i dont mind it i just dont want to tear up the car. Ive seen the shock kits with dampers as well... anyone know about or use these?
i appreciate any help