new guy here

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Default new guy here

i'm new to the forum and i know nearly nothing about vw's. however, i hate payin for gas on somethin thats gettin me 15 mpgs and i've heard some of these cars can be pretty quick while still being very fuel efficient. i'm lookin into gettin a Jetta but i'm not sure which model of Jetta. i've seen the TDI's get around 45mpg but i know nothing about any other Jetta like the GTI or VR6 or GLS or whatever. are tdi's the only diesels? are the diesels the fastest and most fuel efficient compared to the others from the factory? i'm just lookin for someone to break each one down briefly for me so i have a general idea about all this.

i know enough to be dangerous about the american cars (mustangs, camaros, vets, etc.) when it comes to mods and little stuff but i'm no mechanic. i had a mustang for awhile and loved it but it gave me nothing but problems and it didn't get anywhere close to 45mpg.

what kind of numbers do these cars put up at the dragstrip? diesel vs. gas? stock vs. modded?
thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: new guy here

ok my 2000 Jetta VR6 is 174 HP stock. With my upgrades I think I should be close to 200HP now.

1.8T I think is around 165HP, but I know that the drag time is more for the 1.8. Dunno much about diesels, but the VR6 is a dual overhead cam, 2 valves per cylinder, offset cylinders.

Some have problems but some get lucky and don't have too many, just a few quirks. SO, First find out what you want to do...race?...drive around and cruise?...or just a car to get you around? Then that will tell you what you should be getting.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 AM

bagel,
thanks for the info. i'll mainly use it for the mpg's gettin back and forth to work, but i'd like to be able to make some jaws drop from people who don't realize how quick it is; show up some cocky idiots

i'm assuming the 1.8T is the GTi model?

have u run ur VR6 down the track?

i won't drive anything but a manual, do any versions come in only autos? that would narrow down my options a little better

Old 04-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

No you can get pretty much everything in manual, remember it's European car and woman DO drive sticks over there...LOL..ha ha...sorry. Anyways, I have ran my car at the track before AND after the mods, in Utah it sux cause the elevation makes your car run slower, duno why but it does. In Michigan which is sea level, I ran low-mid 14's, before the mods it was 15.8. so I gained a second. If you want it just for the gas, get the 2.0...I'll tell you why!!!!! You have any tattoos??

Well I do, and I also modded my Jetta and I'm not close to being done, any either of them..lol. Once you get a tattoo, you want more!! I have 4; once you mod your Jetta, and you're pleased with the results and the difference is real noticeable, you will want to do it again, and get ALL the mods!! They are both addicting, but I have no plans of quitting anytime soon..LOL.

so I say get a 2.0 cause it's a little slow and I don't see a point in modding something like that, not too much to work with, besides a supercharger maybe, but you have to start from scratch. If you get either of the other ones, you will have no money cause you'll be modding like I do.