GTI Engine "Skipping" Question...NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Default GTI Engine "Skipping" Question...NEED HELP!

I apologize in advance if my question is in the wrong location or my post is inappropriate in any fashion, but I'm new to the forum and have a bit of an urgent matter.

I am in the process of buying a used '08 GTI with 9500 miles and the dealer is letting me try it out. I have noticed that when the engine gets warmed up, a weird sensation kicks in. When I gradually start from a stop and just sort of toe the accelerator (creeping), the car sort of skips rather than creep smoothlyinto its start. It's like I am tapping the accelerator rather than leaving my foot on the pedal. It doesn't jerk into the start, just a few skips. It's also not just the vibration from the car moving, it is a noticeable skip...if that makes any sense. If I give it a little more gas when I start, it's smooth. However, in any traffic with a car in front of me, I won't always be able to give it a good push. I should also mention that it's an Auto transmission.

When the engine is "cool" this doesn't happen.

I am trying to figure out what's going on here as I need to decide if I want this car by tonight. I have never had a turbo engine so I don't know if maybe that has something to do with it. As I said, I need to know soon so I can go for it and just back out. I don't need a new car (I'm only a year into an '07 Jetta) but if this works out, that's fine with me. However, if this is not something normal or to be expected, I'll just pass.

Sorry if this was a poor post. I promise to do better as time passes, I'm just trying to get this figured out quick.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Default RE: GTI Engine "Skipping" Question...NEED HELP!

Sounds like it has to be with the transmission.

What is the warranty on it? If it has one, I would let the dealership know and have them do a complete check before you even think about purchasing it. It would be better if you played it safe rather than sorry.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:05 PM

x2 on swedish

Old 10-18-2008, 04:18 PM

yeah don't get roped into brand new vw with auto trans problems. trade the car in and go for the manuel trans you'll be way happier that you did

Old 11-29-2008, 03:21 AM

do any warminhg lights come on ?